Powder Database

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by pokute, Jan 11, 2015.

1. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I noticed on the physical description, it said it was not perforated. Would this not make it burn faster, or would it make the granules turn to powder to easy?

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

You didn't say which powder, but perforations increase burn rate, though not just for the simple reason usually given: "Increase surface area".

If the powder is cylindrical and perforated (like the macaroni in Kraft macaroni and cheese), then the primary effect is increased surface area, and also increasing surface area on the inner surface to counteract reducing surface area on the outside - Resulting in more regular burn rate.

If the powder is a flat flake and perforated, the burn rate is increased for complex reasons related to the greater exposed edge. Flakes with holes are pretty rare, because the same effect can be achieved by reducing the size of the flakes. The equipment available in some factories favors perforations, however.

Smokeless powder is not "friable", meaning that it doesn't tend to break up or erode to create powder easily. Some powders DO have fine powder mixed with them due to clumsy processing, and it should be removed before use. See Phil Sharpe's Book for details.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. gumpy

Thanks,Mon! Well explained. The only reloading I've ever done is shotgun shells. I used to shoot competition skeet when I was in the Navy, and always tried to shoot about 400 rounds 3 out of 4 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Hmm,I didn't see Alliant Power Pro 300-MP. :confused:

5. pokute

I noticed the same thing.

6. pokute

Flying Fish? Fighter planes? Seagulls?

7. gumpy

I finally gave up on shooting skeet. No matter has I cleaned them or cooked them, they had a clay taste to them.

8. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

A little tough too aren't they???:D

9. gumpy

They're not as tough as Golfs though! I tried golfing once, and found out they are really hard to get the skin off. And then, again, no matter how it's prepared, the meat is real stringy!

10. pokute

Getting the hang of opening cans with a 44 takes a lot of practice. Tomato soup:

Attached Files: