Peters 22 Shorts

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by squirrelhunter, Jan 31, 2015.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

My sister found these and a half a box of Federal High Power 22 shorts when she was going through some old boxes and gave them to me. There's only 8 missing. I've been shooting and hunting since 1975 and I've never heard of these,course I never was very observant :D.

[​IMG]

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

You mean you never heard of 22 shorts? They were made for Olympic target shooting. No recoil and very accurate to 25 yards. High Standard Olympic target pistols are chambered in 22 short. These very fine guns sell very cheap because not too many folks want a gun that only fires 22 short. The 102 series gun is called the "Space Gun" by collectors. The reason is obvious:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015

3. pokute

The earlier model (101 series) was identical to the Supermatic 22LR in appearance. I own a Supermatic 101 in 22LR. The picture below shows the 22 Short "Olympic" model - Note the caliber declaration on the breech block. These guns are VERY heavy, and accurate follow-up shots can be made as fast as you can pull the trigger. A few of these were ordered by the OSS with integral silencers. The silenced guns have never been decommisioned and are still in use.:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. squirrelhunter

No I mean I never heard of Peters ammo,did research found out they're still made under Remington name.

5. pokute

Doh.

Okay. Well, Remington occasionally sells ammo under the Peters name. Usually very cheaply. Around 1995 it was about 1.5 cents per cartridge, or 75 cents a box. At that time the Peters box looked like the one below. Your "Red Ball" package is older, but is considered so ugly that it sells on the collector market for less than the 90's box!

Attached Files:

6. pokute

See how I cleverly turned my embarrassment around and disparaged your ugly box? Ugly, ugly, ugly!

I'm going out now and intentionally blind people with my headlights.

7. squirrelhunter

It's weird why I haven't seen any before then,I've been buying 22 ammo since around 1975.Until around the mid 90s about all we saw around here was Remington,Winchester and CCI,still don't see much of other brands but we don't have any big gun stores either.

And as for ugly,I guess it's all a matter of taste.:p

8. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

Well SquirrelHunter, Peters ammo has been around a while. I bought them as a kid for 29 cents a box, 25 cents a box on sale occasionally.

9. pokute

Ah, I pine for the days when a box of bullets was cheaper than a gallon of gas!

10. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

Peters has been around a long time not sure when they started but they made a full range of ammo for rifle pistol and shotgun.

11. pokute

To the O.P.:

I haven't worn size 22 shorts since grade school. I don't know why you thought anybody would want to buy Peter's from you. Who is Peter anyway?

12. squirrelhunter

13. pokute

I have an entire book on the history of powder manufacture in the U.S.

Perhaps the most boring book on earth. And I read it. I also watched
    Plan 9 From Outer Space and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. I failed,
    however, to sit all the way through Manos The Hands of Fate, or to
    read all the way through Finnegan's Wake.