Personal Defense

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pokute, Mar 18, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Okay, normally I abhor threads like this, but folks seem to be bored, so I thought I'd intentionally scratch some where it itches ;)

I've lived in Los Angeles all my life. I've lived in some pretty dicey places, and I've had friends who have lived in some real hellholes. I've wandered into the middle of gunfights twice (once between rival gangs, once between the police and a sniper in a van), and been within a half block of gunfights 6 times. I know lots of people that have been assaulted or robbed at gunpoint, and I know people that have been shot (by the police - One of my friends took six bullets altogether in 3 altercations - He was unarmed, but black, and ultimately killed in prison by the guards - Yep, I know some fun folks!). I've had one serious (in other words, where I would have opened fire if I were armed) close call myself (drugged up guy with a knife coming at me at 2 a.m. in a bad part of town). Interestingly, I know only one person who ever had to defend himself with a gun - He was a high school student in TN at the time.

My one other "fact on file" is that I am an exceptionally good shot with all calibers of pistol, and I practice at least once per week, at least 300 rounds each time.

So, given that background, here's my take on SD in the urban jungle:

• Running will save you practically 200% of the time.
    • Firing any gun at anyone from within 10 feet will make them run if they are aware that they are a target.
    • A 357 is the pokiest round that I would rely on to stop somebody. I carry a 44M when I'm playing prospector in the desert (our deserts are full of meth cooks who do NOT like company).
    • I can't imagine why anybody would carry anything less than 10mm or 45acp. My CC gun is as small and almost as light as a .380, but it's a 45.
    Where I have provided links to rounds, those are what I consider sure stoppers. Any of them would stop a medium sized animal to at least 25 yards. The 44M round will stop anything short of an elephant. Actually, it would stop an elephant.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I pocket carry a 9mm at work daily with a .38 revolver on my ankle. Recently, I picked up a beast of a pocket gun, a Doubletap in .45 ACP that goes in my back pocket. Evan Marshall says if you're going to be somewhere you think you might need a gun, take TWO. So, now I have three.
    When I am able to belt carry it's either a Glock 19 or a 1911 of some size, along with the .38 and Doubletap. Even when I'm at home I have a J frame .38 in my pocket. Statistics show that 100% of home invasions happen at home. Always be prepared.

[​IMG]

3. pokute

And while you're trying to decide which one to use... ;)

I hope you're going to write a review of the Doubletap for us. I want one just because it's a 45.

4. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Geezer, how bout a front or top view picture. I don't know why, but that's a cool looking gun to me!

5. jdl2

jdl2 Junior Member

I carry a 1911 about 80% of the time. Otherwise a Sig P938. Feel well protected.
    Jim

6. pokute

Well, I'll bet you're the Terror Of Tiny Town with that niner :D

7. pokute

BTW, I did wind up buying a 357. I'll be testing some 170FMJ over 13gr 2400 this weekend. Interested in how flat it shoots to 200 yards for steel rams. I'm sure that would make a dandy SD load too - Especially if I can get, say, 10 desperados to line up single file ;)