Springfield Armory Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I find it very painful to shoot my Hellcat. After about 3 shots, it’s so painful to shoot I change fingers to pull the trigger and the same thing happens to my middle finger. I showed the range officer what was happening and he couldn’t believe what it did to my finger. When I wrote Springfield, I received a very condescending response scolding me on how trigger safety’s work. I only have about a dozen pistols with the same type trigger and none of them act like that. If I decide to keep the gun I’m going to have to buy an aftermarket trigger.
I was hoping Springfield would step up with a solution not a lecture.
Has anyone else experienced a problem with the trigger other than the sideways pressure issue, which isn’t a problem with mine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a trigger pull gauge on the market and many clubs have on in house to gauge the actual force required to pull the trigger. Most production pistols gauge around 6-8lbs, which is not a great deal. I find that 6-8lbs high and swap out my recoil springs to 3-4 lbs. This is common practice as most manufacturers make the pull weight high for inexperienced shooters. On the open market Woolf and several others make all manner of recoil and main/hammer springs for 99% 0f pistols. A simple search on Goole will show what is available. I have never heard of a trigger that is painful to pull after 3 rounds fired, hence possibly there is some issue with your trigger? I would have it tested with a trigger pull gauge to see what it shows.

·
90 Posts
What's it actually doing to your finger after only 3 rounds? I've fired pistols that hurt my trigger finger. Shot a Masada at the range and it hurt my trigger finger after the first mag. It didn't break the skin or anything like that, just a pinch type pain. It did the same thing to another fella that shot it. Unless you really like the gun otherwise, I wouldn't spend a whole lot on it. Sell it and find something that works for you. Springfield shouldn't have been condescending. I can see them defending their trigger since the problem doesn't appear to be widespread, but it would be unlikely they would recommend aftermarket parts be installed in their products. Another option would be to buy or borrow a trigger pull gauge and see what you come up with on an average of 10 pulls. If it's way out of spec with the advertised pull weight send it in and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unfortunately I find it very painful to shoot my Hellcat. After about 3 shots, it’s so painful to shoot I change fingers to pull the trigger and the same thing happens to my middle finger. I showed the range officer what was happening and he couldn’t believe what it did to my finger. When I wrote Springfield, I received a very condescending response scolding me on how trigger safety’s work. I only have about a dozen pistols with the same type trigger and none of them act like that. If I decide to keep the gun I’m going to have to buy an aftermarket trigger.
Has anyone else experienced a problem with the trigger other than the sideways pressure issue, which isn’t a problem with mine.
I have put Hundreds of rounds thru my OSP Hell Cat 9mm micro compact high capacity Pistol without any problems , with the 11 round mag you may or may not get a finger pinch with the stout recoil of heavy 9mm rounds but the sideways pressure on the trigger is proven BS it's often posted by those who hate Springfield Armory & know little about shooting and firearms in general they always are in the Springfield forums with their Glock & Sig speak running down Springfield Armory . But to solve the finger pinch and control the stout recoil of the 9mm micro compact the Hogue handall Beavertail grip sleeve is the answer and it puts your trigger finger in the proper position on the trigger ( see photos below ) it not only improves looks & feel but it actually absorbs that stout recoil from those +p Heavy 9mm rounds designed for accuracy and maximum energy dump on the target out of the short barreled micro compact 9mm pistols , it also will improve your range score on targets because it puts your finger on the triggers sweet spot. I recommend it to all Hell Cat owners who have experienced the finger pinch with the little 11 round magazine. I purchased ( 5 ) 13 round mags and the 11 round is in the Hell Cat's case on a shelf no longer used. I now carry a new 9mm ammo NOVEX ENGAGEMENT : EXTREME : 65 GRAIN COPPER POLYMER compressed BULLET AT 1.730 FPS out of a 4" barrel pistol with 432 FT LBS this specifically designed special self defense ammo hits hard penetrants deep and causes large long wound channels and has very lite recoil ,it's extremely .accurate at 25 yards out of my Springfield Armory OSP Hell Cat 9mm micro compact Pistol. I recommend giving this new ammo a try , Out of my 9mm PC 9 carbine rifle I shot a coyote at 75 to 100 yards and the wound channel it made was pure devastation two times as wide as the 9mm bullet and about 14 " deep .I opened the body cavity of the coyote and inspected the damage the shoulder bone was disintegrated on entry and large bone fragments were through out the wound channel the bullet past thru the coyotes heart and made it into puree it just poured out of the body cavity . The bullet was intact hitting and destroying a rib on the opposite side of the coyote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, I had the same issue with my XD compact 9 and 45. However, the sore finger happened after more rounds were fired. My solution was use a very small file and remove the edge to the safety within the trigger. This removed the sharpness and subsequent sore finger. I don't know if you have the same issue with the Hellcat but this worked for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Hellcat OSP and am now very happy with it. I too was not happy with the trigger. I installed an Apex Tactical trigger and am much happier now. The trigger pull now is just over 5 pounds. I never had the problem described above, I just didn't like the trigger. I strongly recommend the Apex Tactical drop in trigger. There is a video on their website that steps you through the diss-assembly / re-assembly process as well as a detailed safety verification and a function check. Might be worth a try for $79.99.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Hellcat OSP and am now very happy with it. I too was not happy with the trigger. I installed an Apex Tactical trigger and am much happier now. The trigger pull now is just over 5 pounds. I never had the problem described above, I just didn't like the trigger. I strongly recommend the Apex Tactical drop in trigger. There is a video on their website that steps you through the diss-assembly / re-assembly process as well as a detailed safety verification and a function check. Might be worth a try for $79.99.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dare i say there is very little correlation between placing your finger on a pistol trigger in the correct manner as show in the above diagram and hitting a bullseye or target dead center. Yes placing your finger in the correct position is one factor and one factor only in good shooting. In fact i find getting the correct sight picture is far more important, but again not the total answer. There are many aspects to good shooting and the heavier the trigger pull the more critical actions are. Grip is an important factor and a tight grip with both hands. Some say breathing and or stance is important but i find that irrelevant, except in Olympic style matches. When shooting either in certain types of competition or in self defence when adrenaline is running high and speed is of the essence as is accuracy, however speed is the one and only critical factor. Most pistols are either too large or too small for some peoples hands, hence now most pistols, not all have swells that allow a shooter to gain a better grip, but never perfect. Hence we make do with what the pistol has.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Hell Cat is stock other than the Hogue handall Beavertail Grip Sleeve . With my Caldwell Trigger Pull gauge my Hell Cat with the factory trigger breaks at a crisp 5 pounds' have an analog gauge and a digital gauge both read 5 pounds. I have put well over 1000 rounds thru my Hell Cat with out a problem the grip sleeve reduced the stout recoil of 124 grain military ball +p ammo. No sore fingers for me and I have large hands . I like to carry my Larger XDM 9MM as my Primary & the Hell Cat as my back up. But when I carry the little Hell Cat as my primary I carry the Ruger LCPII .22 Lr as back up . and I have not had a problem with any of them. I seen guys put many after market triggers , spring kits and sight on their firearms but noticed on the range their shooting score never improved , I have to admit that after adding the XS Bigdot Sights to my XDM 9MM & XD .45 my bowling pin & falling plates shooting score improved drastically I guess some of those people with all the after market crap should have spent their money on shooting lessons .I seen one guy who has over a grand in extras in his 10/22 rifle and on the range with a factory stock 10/22 my SHOT groups at 50 yards & 100 yards are just as good as his High dollar custom 10/22 he spent a grand in . Some of these aftermarket gimmicks may very well work but do nothing to improve scores or shot groups. Practice and range time is what counts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be interesting if the op would return and expound upon the actual issue to his finger.

I've only had one pistol that cause any finger pain, sadly I do not recall which pistol it is, but I do recall the issue was how my finger, during the pull, would touch the trigger guard ever so lightly. The trigger guard had a sharp ridge in the center at the seem. A little fine sand paper cured it.

It could have been my first LCP, which also dug in to my hand with it's squared off grip. A hogue grip cured that issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Be interesting if the op would return and expound upon the actual issue to his finger.

I've only had one pistol that cause any finger pain, sadly I do not recall which pistol it is, but I do recall the issue was how my finger, during the pull, would touch the trigger guard ever so lightly. The trigger guard had a sharp ridge in the center at the seem. A little fine sand paper cured it.

It could have been my first LCP, which also dug in to my hand with it's squared off grip. A hogue grip cured that issue.
It also helps with the Springfield Armory Hell Cat Pistol it tames the stout recoil and the finger pinch some people have complained about .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picked up my first springfield over the weekend, a hellcat osp. Don't know that it'll get an optic, but I like options and 50 bucks from the factory seems the better alternative to sending a slide out later.

IMHO, I think the trigger is pretty darn good, no pain at all after 200 rounds in its first session. What I did find odd was I naturally shoot a little left of aim with the pistol, which is a first. Finger position didn't matter. Generally I pull a little right if I'm not concentrating.

Love the sights, that's mostly what hooked me on this pistol since the first time I held one. Functioned as I'd expect, with no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked up my first springfield over the weekend, a hellcat osp. Don't know that it'll get an optic, but I like options and 50 bucks from the factory seems the better alternative to sending a slide out later.

IMHO, I think the trigger is pretty darn good, no pain at all after 200 rounds in its first session. What I did find odd was I naturally shoot a little left of aim with the pistol, which is a first. Finger position didn't matter. Generally I pull a little right if I'm not concentrating.

Love the sights, that's mostly what hooked me on this pistol since the first time I held one. Functioned as I'd expect, with no issues.
I found the same thing when I took my Hellcat to the range the first time. Nice tight group, but to the left.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts