Okay, it's not a .45...

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by JSMosby, Jun 26, 2015.

1. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

My employer does not allow the carrying of guns at work. However, I travel frequently and often find myself in less than friendly neighborhoods. So on occasion I might accidentally forget to take my S&W model 60 out of my pocket (IWB holster, ankle holster) when I leave for work. I know that it's just a puny .38 Special, and I am prepared to suffer the abuse from the .45 ACP afficienados, but I'm hoping that some of y'all might give me your ideas on .38 Special ammunition for my little wheel gun as I know that there is a wealth of knowledge regarding such matters on this forum.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

You are apologizing for carrying a Chief's Special?!

Anyway, the "FBI Load" was made for that gun. Dead soft 158 grain hollowpoint. Cease your searching: http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchan...ZD&Product_Code=R637-A&Category_Code=ZBA-38SP

Limit your practice with the +P's. The standard load will be hard enough to deal with. S&W insists on sticking with the grip frame that they put on the 32 Hand Ejector, and it is truly uncomfortable in a snubbie. I was bleeding after 50 rounds through a 640.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015

3. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

Being something of a .45 ACP snob myself, I thought it might be necessary. Thanks for the information. I have been using a similar flat nosed round, but the hollow point sounds interesting. Thanks again!

4. pokute

The dead soft HP will expand to a beautiful mushroom. Nearly pure lead is very tough, it will not go to pieces even if it strikes bone. Note that they also have a dead soft 200gr SWHP in 45 :D

5. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

Noted. By the way, the only change that I made to that gun was to add a Tyler T-Grip. It makes shooting it more enjoyable.

6. pokute

A grip filler is a big improvement, but Jordan Trooper grips from Herrett's will really improve control. See Bill Jordan's book.

S&W sold grip fillers for the I, J, and K frame guns that have become valuable collector's items. Not sure why they were unwilling to improve their grip design. Probably why Walter Roper left S&W.

7. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

I chose the T-Grip because it didn't effect the concealment factor. If that wasn't an issue I would replace the standard grips.

8. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I have an old flat latch Model 36 that I carry from time to time. It also has a Tyler T Grip because I can still hide it well. Nothing wrong with a .38 Special.

[​IMG]

9. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

Agreed Geezer. Did you bob the hammer?

10. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Yep, some of the home gunsmithing, but, I did not use a Dremel. I used a bench grinder.

11. pokute

Bench... Grinder... Sigh. I think I bought an old Dodge once that belonged to you... Couple of studs ground off on each wheel because the BINGO prize wrench wasn't doing it... Sound familiar?

Attached Files:

12. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Wow, I haven't seen one of those dog bones in a long time.

I did have a great uncle that had a 1961 Chevy that the lug nuts wouldn't stay tight, so he put a little spot weld on them to the stud.

13. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

I bought an old H&R 732 recently. In .32 Long. WTH was I thinking?!
    Anyway, it is a cute little gun.

ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1435532222.058911.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  14. pokute

Let's see, the last time I fired one of those, the SA pull was about 6 ounces, and the DA pull about 30 pounds. Hope yours is better. The beginning of the end of a great firearms company.

By the way, for folks who've never owned an H&R, that little nub sticking out of the back of the trigger guard is the SA sear.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  15. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

Yeah, SA pull is probably 4-5 #. DA, may 14. But, couldn't beat the price. I hope to shoot some 100 grain wadcutters through it this week or next. Plus, I got the old Eagle rosewood grips in the package.