OK experts, I need your help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by havasu, May 13, 2016.

1. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

I found this NRA token in my safe tonight. I know it is old, but don;t know how or where I got it. It was sealed in plastic until I opened it up tonight for the picture. It is the size of a silver dollar.

Help me understand why is has the Springfield emblem on it.

Attached Files:

2. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Springfield made the Model of 1905 rifle bayonet which was affixed to various rifles in early in the 20th century through WWI, WWII & the Korean War. It was initially developed for the US .30 caliber rifle 1903, aka, the Springfield Model of 1903 and first saw action in the Philippine-American War of 1899 - 1902. The designation "Model of" was shortened to "M" in 1925 when the US Army adopted the "M" nomenclature.

I suspect the medallion was part of the M1905 bayonet commemorative package endorsed by the NRA. It may have also been part of a NRA commemorative package featuring the Springfield M1903 with the M1905 bayonet.

It was not unusual for the NRA to endorse commemorative editions of firearms and firearm accessories (Google NRA Commemorative) back in the day and they still do it to this day.

eBay price for the medallion runs about $15 - $20

Last edited: May 13, 2016

3. havasu

I appreciate the information!

4. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I got the exact same coin Mark....

At one time, the NRA had a promotion going to see if there was interest in members buying into a series of Firearm Coins being produced by a third party manufacturer.

The coin You and I have was sent to "Pre-Selected" members as an free introduction to that series...the Springfield M1903a1 being the first...others to follow, one every other month... if you signed up.

Looks like You and I didn't buy into the hype...and I was never approached with the offer again.

Value...? Zilch....

Sorry Buddy...

6. havasu

Hey Kev!

I really didn't believe it would be worth much, since it was probably something left over from my G/F's estate and got into my safe. Her deceased hubby never spend much money.

7. dc_shoemaker

dc_shoemaker New Member

Classic Collector's Series

The NRA put out a whole series of medallions, 7 to be exact, for the wars the US has participated in since WWI. It includes the '03 Springfield, the M1 Garand, M14, M16, M40, M1911, and the BAR. Each medallion has the War/Campaign the rifle or pistol was used in, (e.g. M16 lists Vietnam, Desert Storm and Enduring Freedom). I have all 7 and they provided a holder for each of them.

8. havasu

Thank you DC, and welcome to the forum!

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I have a couple medallions of animals somewhere from when they were promoting hunting videos :rolleyes:.