Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My parkerized 1911 A1L has been flawless for the first 700 rounds. I have read of some fairly extreme initial steps to oil the finish as a means to further protect the gun from corrosion, such as oven baking the gun in vaseline. I have not done this.

I oil the finish every time I clean it with G96 Gun Oil. I put the oil on a patch and quickly wipe a constant film on the gun. I have done this about 4 times now. The finish seems to absorb the oil for the most part within an hour or so.

Candidly, how much oil can the parkerized finish absorb anyway? Seems to me doing it periodically has benefits over a single deep dive. The finish seems pretty tough to me.

Curious to know the longer term experience of others with parkerized finishes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wish I had an answer.
I have a Range Officer Operator and I clean and oil mine every six months and after every range trip.
I use Lucas Oil Products and it appears that the finish absorbs all the oil.
It looks as good as the day I bought it.

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: RevV

·
436 Posts
I've used regular Automatic Transmission Fluid to great success on my polymer CCW weapons. I put a light coat on the metal slide and let it sit at room temperature overnight. Wipe off any excess the next day. Never had a problem with corrosion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"oven baking the gun in Vaseline" bawhahahaha!
In all my years, that's a first!
Not you, but whomever said this. I guess we can't have enough internet twits?

Just wipe it down with the same thing (Ballistol, silicon rag, etc.) you use on your other finishes for protection and it will be fine.
Baking with Vaseline, lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. I understand ArmaLite found ATF to be a good lubricant and a good gun cleaner.
It is. It was back when ArmaLite thought it was too. Back then when the AR was being developed ATF still had whale oil in it. For a while after the ban they had to play catch up trying to find something as good as sperm whale oil. I’ve heard and read current synthetic atf is one of the best lubes you can use on a gun. Due to the fact that they created it to copy the performance whale oil brought. Mostly how stable it was across a huge temperature range and it also stayed where you put it. It had a fairly high waxy like property. So across temp ranges it wouldn’t migrate which made it outstanding. I know a lot of guys still use nothing but atf.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been experimenting with different lubricants. For a while I used grease on the slide which was good, but I have switched back to oil, particularly G96. I am going to try some ATF. You can buy a whole litre of Castrol Transmax for a lot less than named gun oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back when I used to Parkerize firearms for fun and profit locally I started off treating the parts with RIG grease.
That was 20years ago. Now I just do it for myself. And have no troubles using Ballistol.

Now if you are really concerned about corrosion and humidity you might want to degrease with car cleaner or another strong degreaser and then use Johnson Paste Wax as a base coat. I don't know about an oven but maybe a hair dryer, use one from a thrift store if married. 😁

Someday I'm going to move and be in a place and position to Parkerize a little each month to supplement my income.

BTW- if anyone has any questions or wants to know what's required and all that to Parkerize feel free to ask.
I'll just say that I'm more partial to Milspec Manganese Phosphate based Parkerizing vs. the nickel formula.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use just a light coat of Rem oil and a good wipe down.
Lately on my EDC because it's used and exposed to elements a lot more than my other weapons I've actually started using a very light coat of Slip 2000 EWG.
Just a tiny dot and it wipes down pretty much like any oil would.
I wiped them all down every couple of weeks regardless of which lubricant I use on which. My EDC seems perfect content with the Slip 2000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts