Oh No!!! I'm An Idiot!!!

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by SA_Shooter, Feb 23, 2016.

1. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Yup...I branded the SA Trophy Match tonight...it now has an "idiot scratch". :mad:

No excuse but now I am wondering how I can avoid doing it again. I've not done anything to the slide but the flat on the frame under the notch got dinged.

Anyone got a good way to avoid this? Do I need to file down that slide stop somewhere to make it easier to snap into place? I'm at a loss. I've never done this before and am not sure how to keep from doing it again.

Any suggestions, insight, links, etc...will be very welcome!

aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh.... :(

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

What you gotta do is hold (pinching the frame and slide between finger and thumb ) the slide aligning it over the hole with your left hand while placing then pressing the slide stop down with your right...

It comes with practice...and everyone does it...believe me.

I was lucky enough to sell the one 1911 I did it to in order to buy another 1911...so I practiced on it to find what worked best for me before I got rid of it.

Now...depending on how deep it is...try either Flitz or Rejuvinate for a remedy.

3. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Or I can use the old guitar pick method.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Yup...the guitar pick method works too !!

5. Steve

Steve Member

6. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Not a serious issue. It is normal.

7. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

+1 ^ for post #5 best fix works on all my 1911,s

8. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

I'm not really sure what log man did in that post. Did he file in the notch on the back side of the slide stop?

9. Steve

Steve Member

Sa_Shooter,

Take a look at the second pic in that link, it is from the side and shows the relieved area for the detent to line up with. It's a very simple mod that can be done with some jewelers files and a little patients. If you need another pic I could post one here. Just let me know.

Steve

10. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Thanks, Steve. What I am trying to determine is the before and after difference. I'm not sure where to start or how far to go with the file.

The slide stop engagement on this Trophy Match is STIFF!!!

11. Steve

Steve Member

I started with a triangular file and after a couple of strokes I went to a round file. Go slow and fit often, you will see after a little bit of filing how it captures the detent in the slot you are creating.

Steve

Attached Files:

12. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Thanks, Steve.

I guess I'll go pull one out and check it against that ^^^ pic so I can tell where to start and where to end.

13. Steve

Steve Member

Did you go after it? How did it go?

Steve

14. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

I haven't given it a go yet, Steve. I've been out of town on business and my weekends have been all mucked up by the Mrs. and things she wants us to "do together". aaargghhhh...

15. Steve

Steve Member

"do together" usually involves spending money on new window treatments or some other beautification project around the house, at least for me it does. A new set of grips is more my idea of beautification.

16. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

For us it's a benefit dinner, a trip to the coast, concerts or other such stuff.

I talked with Springfield about products and process for buffing out the scratch. Basically, if I go with what they described - and they did let me know this - instead of a scratch there I would have a "patch" a bit larger in area that the finish won't match with the rest of the frame. I can, however, strip the frame and do the whole thing. Then it would all match.

But then...the slide finish won't match the frame finish...so I would do the slide as well. Holy he**.

Gonna have to think on that a bit.

17. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Understand how you feel about the scratch and it can become an obsession but a pretty smart guy told me this years ago and I try to follow it.
    He said scratches add character to the gun and prove that it is not a "Drawer Queen".
    Therefore I try not to scratch one but if I do I add it to the "character" marks list. ;)

18. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

And that's exactly where I am headed with this. I've decided that it won't affect the weapon's performance or mine.

Now all I have to do is get past the "idiot" moniker... :D