New XDS... trying to get it running right.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TheEndlessSearch, Dec 8, 2014.

1. TheEndlessSearch

TheEndlessSearch New Member

Hey, got a new XDS and I'm trying to get it right. Hope I can get some help! Gun is a great shooter: accurate and ergonomic; however, the pistol failed to return to battery about 20 times out of 150 rounds of live fire.

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Have you tried different brands of ammo??

3. gunjunkee

gunjunkee New Member

On Mine I shot 10 rounds out of it then tore it down and cleaned the hell out of it. never had a problem after about 250 rounds through it. I agree also change brands on ammo

4. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

You MUST clean a new gun before firing it. It's not unusual for there to be bits of plastic and metal rattling around inside of it that can cause anything from frustration to outright disaster.

5. TheEndlessSearch

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done a through degrease, cleaning, and lube of all critical components before firing (rails, striker mechanism, striker channel, metal contact points, and ran a bore snake through it twice) and still had these issues. I'm thinking the recoil spring is too weak to consistantly return it to battery or the extractor is way to tight.

6. NWMarc

NWMarc New Member

Make sure to use good lube on the slides. Plus some seem to need a longer breaking in period.

7. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Aaaaarrrggghhh! Decide which thread you want to keep and offer the mods a cookie and glass of milk to merge them!! It's a damn good thread(s), and will someday save somebody some time. I vote for the other one, but it's your thread(s).

As a matter of fact, I'm going to start a thread on "New Gun Woes", and am relying on your resolution of this problem to give me some useful data on the XD, since I don't own one myself.

8. TheEndlessSearch

The XDS is running 100% after pushing past 225 rounds (my range session was between 150-275 rounds total on the XDS). I can also now press check the XDS and it will return to battery each time. Out of the mags I ran through 150-275 I had 4 slide lock after last round failures; however, this is not a concern to me since i exclusively use the overhand changing method.

I'm am excited to put this in my daily carry rotation :)