New XD9 Owner

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by rob_maine, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rob_maine

rob_maine New Member

Hello, All
    I recently purchased the XD9 4 inch service model after ruling out several other models including the glock 17. The gun was right at my price point, has great ergonomics, and fits my needs nicely as a range/home defense weapon.
    Curious what mods/additional features you all recommend. I have been looking at the extended mags and the light/laser piece.

2. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum rob. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to modifying anything. Think of what you are going to use it for and look to modify to this purpose.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

4. OCEdwards

OCEdwards New Member

Rob, just joined and just purchased an xd 45 service model for my home defense and range pistol... So we have a similar situation.

Depending on how into shooting you are, for tactical fun and practice the tlr has a nice look mounted under an xd and triangular tritium sights from someone like advantage tactical do as well. (Make sure you have the right tool or confirm your local shop will remove xd sights, they are a pain)

Besides that, you might want to look into some rubber decal grips or a slip on, depending on your feel preference.

Let me know if you do any mods to the gun and maybe post a pic :)

5. rob_maine

rob_maine New Member

I haven't made any mods yet. Took it out to the range over the weekend and loved it! I did encounter a little issue. I am nearsighted and the sight on the gun just doesn't do it for me, even with my glasses. Anyone have any suggestions?

6. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

For range work, you should get glasses made that focus at 30-34 inches, then get one of these little gems, which sticks to the lens of your glasses with a little suction cup: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/978528/merit-optical-attachment-with-suction-cup

You will find that the improvement that comes with using that will carry over into shooting without it. Everyone who uses one swears by it. Of course, it's available at other places, but Midway has the best picture.

Guess I should just put the pic right into the post:

Attached Files:

7. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I wear bifocals. The basic bifocals are designed to provide the sharpest image at a point within arms reach where you would hold a book to read. I told my opthamologist that I like shooting a pistol and asked if he could provide a prescription that made the sharpest image about 1-2 feet farther away (about where my front sight is on the pistol.) He said no problem and wrote me two prescriptions, one for normal reading and office work and the other for shooting. I'm still waiting on delivery of the shooting lenses. I'll let y'all know how they work by comparison.

By the way, the only mod I've made on any of my XDm pistols was to change the sights to tritium fiber optic on my regular carry pistol. They help a lot in low light or dark to be able to get the sight picture quickly.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  8. gumpy

Please let me know if it works. I'm getting new glasses in the spring and I might very well try that!

9. Balota

I should get them early January. Will definitely post pics of targets and try to describe the differences.

10. gumpy

Thanks, Balota.

11. grunt82

grunt82 New Member

Hey everyone, just bought a XD 9mm service and I'm looking for a in pants holster any ideas ?

12. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

I just bought the 4" service XD as well and I'm looking at the Alien Gear IWB holsters. They have a two holster deal their running right now and you can pick two different holsters for two different guns for less than $50. That's hard to beat!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  13. grunt82

grunt82 New Member

Thanks big blue I was just on their site and I think I will order one

14. Balota

Order two! A deal like that is hard to beat!