New to Springfield

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by NewMod2, Mar 13, 2015.

1. NewMod2

NewMod2 New Member

Hey All, just wanted to touch base with some other XD owners. I was a strictly Glock guy for years and I just broke down and bought a Mod 2 and couldn't be more pleased!! I wish I had given Springfield a second look sooner.

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Glad you finally came around to your senses :D.

3. NewMod2

NewMod2 New Member

Thanks! I also was wondering if anyone had any info on personal defense ammo running through the mod 2. I know some subcompacts have feed issues with certain ammo and being new to the XD I'm just looking for some input on what people have had good results with.

4. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Welcome to Springfield!

You didn't buy the house next to the Simpson's by any chance?

5. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

Welcome to the Springfield playground....
    Adult supervision is recommended but not required !! :D

6. NewMod2

NewMod2 New Member

My first of many!! ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1426379323.231427.jpg

7. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

That will probably be my next purchase...sub compact for every day carry.

8. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

I live directly across the street from the Simpson's....
    Haven't noticed any ACME Moving and Shipping trucks lately !!!

9. NewMod2

NewMod2 New Member

You won't regret it! This is just a great EDC

10. pokute

And when the pressure is on, you won't have to think about which end of the gun goes in your hand!

11. halimon73

halimon73 New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the handgun scene. Never owned, shot or even held a gun until I went to the range a couple of weeks ago. I tried out the full size 9mm XDM and the full size 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P. I was leaning towards the XDM because I liked the grip safety (if that's what it's called). Can you guys with more knowledge than me give me any more insight into which of these two handguns I should buy and why?

12. pokute

Welcome to the forum! Somebody who knows more about both guns will come along eventually. If you think you might be interested in a 1911, I'd be happy to jaw your ear off!

13. halimon73

halimon73 New Member

Haven't tried the 1911 style yet. Going back to the range soon, I'm going to try a couple then.

14. pokute

Excellent! In the 1911's favor is that the same gun can be used as a reliable SD weapon or as a target firearm. Though learning to shoot the 1911 well can be a challenge, there is no limit to the degree of precision that can be wrung out of it. It is an excellent first gun, because it will make you a more discerning buyer when the time comes to buy your next pistol(s) ;)

If you are handy, there's no gun that offers more opportunity for refinement via files and stones than the 1911. Here's a bunch owned by forum members: https://www.springfieldforum.com/f32/lets-see-your-s-m1911-128

15. halimon73

halimon73 New Member

I'll see what kind of feel I get at the range. However I have to say the guns I did shoot were pretty comfortable.

16. pokute

Definitely get what feels best, but try as many as possible. I threw my first gun in the trash after beating it to pieces with a hammer. I wish I'd had someone to give me that advice.

I am totally 1000% (not a typo) biased in favor of the 1911. I'm not going to say it's the only gun to get, but I'm also not going to give you an objective assessment of anything I consider less gun! I warned you I'd jaw your ear off!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  17. halimon73

halimon73 New Member

It's all good. I appreciate any feedback I get. My brother also is a 1911 guy. So he's trying to get me to take a look at them as well.

18. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the highly addictive sport called 'Guns', Lol. Definitely try all the types you can before you purchase. You'll be a happier camper!

19. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Every person is different so just because you have a bunch of people say buy this or that,it may not be for you. That's why you should try out several and get what feels the best and you can shoot the best with. I'm a pretty picky guy when it comes to guns I shoot well,I've traded off several that I couldn't hit a barn with. Around here there's no ranges or gun shops that will let you try them first and just because they feel good doesn't necessarily mean you'll shoot them good,at least that's the way it is with me. Some I start getting good with after awhile and some I don't,so since you can try them out by all means do it as much as you can. Good luck in finding one you like. Guns can be very addictive but it's a great addiction :D.

20. halimon73

halimon73 New Member

Thanks for all of your feedback fellas.