New to SAF

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DrewManto, Jan 8, 2017.

1. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

Hello to all from Northern California. I am officially a new firearm owner! I've been into shooting a ton as my cousins are avid exercisers of our beloved 2nd amendment and am very fortunate to have them share their arms and ammo with me. I've learned a lot from them and they've shared a ton with me! Anyways, tomorrow I will finally have my XD9 in my hands after a long 10 days. Everything on the forum looks great! I look forward to being as involved as I can get!

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and the gun owning world. Glad you found an enjoyable past time.

By the way,we love pictures so when you get it make sure you post some pictures ;) :D.

3. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Post some range reports also. We be nosy!
    Welcome to the forum! Enjoy!

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Springfield Armory Forum Drew !!

Enjoy our community...

5. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll be picking up my. XD as soon as I'm out of work! And soon to follow the range report with some photos!

6. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Good to have you join us Drew, post away.

7. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Supporter

Welcome Drew, glad to have you!

8. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1484075485.902431.jpg ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1484075503.677324.jpg ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1484075514.641033.jpg

Here she is. Love the feel of her in my hands! So a few things I'd like the do to her, improved iron sights (most likely night sights) and a flash light. Maybe a while down the road custom stippling job, but as of now the grip feels good. Taking her to the range this weekend!

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Nice looking gun there,I hope she shoots just fine.
    I've been thinking about getting another Springfield but haven't had the money and not sure which one to check out,guess I'll have to check them all out sometime. :D

10. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Welcome, Drew! CA seems quite anti-gun. I'm happy you obtained one!

Very pretty by the way! Thanks for the pic. Most of us on this forum much enjoy gun pics.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

I don't think you can go wrong with anything in the XD line. I've shot the original XD, and I own an XDs and a Mod2. As you know, the model you choose just depends on what you intend to do with it. :)

12. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

I was looking at my iron sights and not sure if I'd be able to switch them out. What I've found online were mostly for the XDs and XD mod. Maybe I'm not seeing it but I'd like some help.

13. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Drew, I can't see what sights are on you XD. Do you have red or green fiber optic stuff in the front sight? Or is it entirely black?

Both mine have the red fiber optic tube on the front sight, and I like them a lot. I figure that if I ever have to shoot in low light situations, it will be at close range; I won't be using the sights, and will just use intuitive aiming.

That said, a lot of people like Tritium night sights. If that is what you are considering, there are people on this forum who can probably tell you how to switch out the sights. (You might want to start a new thread asking people about how to change out sights. New threads tend to get more initial attention.)

A while back, I expressed concern about radiation exposure from Tritium sights. Threetango, who seems VERY knowledgable, said the following,

"As far as the Tritium (not a concern) you probably would get more walking outside on a sunny.

Technically: The secondary radiation is what causes the light that you observe. The braking radiation (or bremsstrahlung) that they discuss is of very little concern as far as biological effects at the energy levels and quantities we find in these consumer devices.

In other words, as long as you don't break the vial open and lick it all up, the radiation is of no concern. Even if you did ingest it, the levels are so low that it's a non-issue unless you work where you're monitored for radiation. Even at that, you'd most likely need a bioassy (urine sample) to pick it up and there isn't a significant biological hazard from the tritium."

Good luck with your sight decisions and switching!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

A little update on the iron aight dilemma. Went to my local smith and was told they no longer do iron sight swaps for the XD due to difficulties and frequent breaks on either removal or installing. I was referred to a guy in Alaska that does the swap but I'd have to ship it out and wait for the sight to be done. So...I'll just wait it out and run with the iron sights on now.

15. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Brightening Iron Sights

I have an old Taurus revolver that has blued sights. I make the front sight pop a little by coating the tip of it with bright nail polish (orange or red, whatever my wife or daughter has on hand).

It's not fiber optics, but it beats a blued sight on a blued gun!

16. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

You know I was thinking the same thing. Just didn't know what to use when I decide to do it but nail polish sounds PERFECT! But I'll wait on that. I have yet to fire off rounds from her. I've been eagerly waiting but life got me busy. So maybe after I actually fire down the sight to see how I feel. Thanks again RevV

17. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor Junior Member

Welcome from one newbie to another. I've ridden a Harley around northern California and southern Oregon. Had a great time out there. Hope you enjoy your new weapon. Keep that left coast secure and I'll do my best here in the Appalachians.