New Springer RO in 9mm and Colt Gov't Model in 9mm

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by pendennis, Aug 26, 2015.

1. pendennis

pendennis New Member

Started out "just looking at a LGS today. Didn't really have anything in mind, but I ran across this, and decided it had to come home with me. I already have an RO in .45 ACP, and this makes the pair.

Took it to the range, and it ate everything (150 rounds) that it was fed; HP's, FMJ, reloads, made no difference. It also doesn't care what type of mag goes in it. I put Kimber, Springer, and Colt and it made no difference. Hits to point of aim out of the box, and I ordered a new Dawson front FO sight. Now, I just have to decide what type of stock to go on it. It also got a nice Colt Government Model that will be its case mate. It was perfect out of the box also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Congrats! Looks like you're the latest 1911 addict around here. There's a Randall for sale on Gunauction. The guy turned down $1200 the last time he tried to sell it, but he might accept it this time.

3. pendennis

pendennis New Member

Here's an update:

I had a spare Dawson Precision FO front sight when I ordered an extra for my RO in .45 ACP. I took the pistol to a trusted, and I do mean trusted, friend who'd done a lot of 1911 work for me in the past. He asked me if the original front sight could be sacrificed. I told him yes, since a replacement could be obtained from Springfield if I ever wanted to go back. He said he wasn't super busy, and my pistol would be ready the next day. Later on Friday, he called saying he had trouble and had to cut through the original to remove it. No problem.

Saturday, he called and told me the pistol was ready. I got to his shop and my jaw dropped at the butchery committed to my RO slide. He had cut through the front sight, and had cut the left side of the slide just below the sight dovetail. The sight had been installed, but the area was a mess. He used a flat black touch-up pen to cover the damage.

I was appalled. He told me that the saw he used back lashed, and damaged the frame. When he was showing me the damage, his hands had somewhat of a tremor. Knowing he wasn't an alcoholic, I asked him if his tremors had anything to with the onset of Parkinson's (his father suffered from it). He was a bit evasive, so I moved on.

He, of course, didn't charge anything for the "work", and he told me he would reimburse me completely for any repairs or replacement. I called Springfield Customer Service first thing Monday, and they had FEDEX email me a 2-day air label. FEDEX picked it up yesterday. I asked them to replace the slide using the original parts where possible (gun only has 300 rounds through it), and to install a FO sight if possible. They advised they'd provide the charges after inspection.

Last night I talked to my friend, and he confessed that he did have Parkinson's in its very early stages. I told him I understood, and I wished he'd been more up front with me. I could have taken the pistol to another trusted 'smith.

I just can't be angry. And I wish my friend the best in his fight with Parkinson's. I have a couple of other friends who are fighting this ailment, and it's a darned shame about the way it debilitates the body.

4. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I recently bought a very expensive sight pusher, The B&J P500, from Brownells. It works exceedingly well. I've done a front and rear sight change with it, and it makes the job fast, precise, and painless:

Attached Files:

5. pendennis

pendennis New Member

Got a phone call from Springfield Armory Customer Service today.

The good news - Cost to replace the slide is $205; plus $45 shipping 2nd Day FEDEX Air.

The better news - I'll have the gun on Thursday.

I called my friend this evening, and he said he'll send me a check for $250.

While I'm very upset about the incident, I'm just as happy that my friend has realized that his Parkinson's has effectively ended his 'smithing. It's a real shame, because he was so talented.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  6. pendennis

pendennis New Member

An update:

Took the repaired RO to the range this morning for a shake out. Yesterday, I field stripped the pistol, wiped it down and gave it a nice bath in TW25G. The gun arrived, as promised, on Thursday afternoon via FEDEX two-day air. It was packaged in a very sturdy single-gun case, and they even installed a new set of stocks. I know this, because I removed the originals before shipping, as is my long-time habit.

I treated it like a new gun, and it performed flawlessly. It fed everything from FMJ to HP defense loads without a hiccup. I can see the sights much better with the Dawson Engineering FO front. It stands out very nicely. Springfield re-installed them on the new slide, and did a great job.

I received a check today from my friend, reimbursing my outlay.

Thanks to Springfield for a job well done! :D :D :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015