Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the front sight is fixed, I want to be sure that I buy the right scope and base that works.

I plan to use the gun for hunting and more long-distance shooting, say 100 yards or more. I think that a red dot might cover my target, and I like to place shots accurately. That brings me to a variable power scope. I like Vortex, so the 1-4X or 1-6X is appealing because those are a combination red dot and magnification (i'm open to other ideas). The question I have is can I get enough elevation over the barrel to see over (or through) that front sight? I don't want to buy it if I can't, Returning can be a pain.

Further, for home defense, I have a very nice Bonelli 12 gauge w/18 inch barrel for that, and a CZ Scorpion carbine 9mm (Vortex red dot Sparc). and my Sig P938 with nite sights, so a fourth defense gun would only be used if my assailant was attacking from 100 yards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got the vortex 1-6 strike eagle on mine and I am pleased with it out to 300 yards. It works very well at 1x for close up and quick acquisition with the fsb noticeable but not an issue. With much magnification it disappears. A 3x9 is better IMO for bench rest shooting and a good red dot slightly better for cqb but it's a very nice compromise scope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my Saint a couple weeks ago. Shot a 120 rounds from various yardage. Gun ran great. Shot great. I was shooting steel at 185 yards off the bench. But trying to shoot a tight group at a 100 was tough with the iron site. My 57 year old eyes ain't what they use to be. Oh I could put em in a 5 inch circle but that was about it. The rifle will shoot better than that.
Going to add some optics. Looking at the Leupold Mod AR Mod 1 with Firedot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the Vortex Strike Eagle. It's sort of an interesting cross between a red dot and a rifle scope. I've only shot short range in the National Forest near my home. Sighted in easy using a bore sighted, then a mix of cheap ammo. Mostly offhand and resting on the tailgate. Fired with out a mishap, seems tack sharp. Dirty gun the AR-15. Carbon everywhere. I like the scope. I looked though the leupold at a gun shop, but that illuminated part circle and dot was impressive. I also like that if the battery fails, the reticle is no longer illuminated but it is there. In black. I also liked the windage and ellivation marks. Lets us know how yours work if you get the one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vortex/vortex

I tried the two-piece Nikon, had to send it back. I don't want to besmirch Nikon, but the mount just wasn't solid for me. I then ordered the Vortex Cantilever mount and it is a rock! But, it's a little heavy -like a rock. So far the weight doesn't bother me, but it may be a bit overbuilt for an AR. The up side is that it may be adding a little stability to my long range shooting. As I shoot more with this on my Saint, I'll report back.

I will report that the Vortex Sparc II on my CZ Scorpion Carbine is very nice to use. I've thought of trying it on the Saint, but that's not the intended purpose I had. The CZ is a very able short range firearm with the 9mm round, and the Saint does the job for mid to long range. I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depends if its a magnified optic. I have a 1-4X optic and at 1X the front sight post is visible, at 2X it's a blur, and at 3-4X I can't even see the front sight post so if you're using anything above 3X it should just disappear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since the front sight is fixed, I want to be sure that I buy the right scope and base that works.

I plan to use the gun for hunting and more long-distance shooting, say 100 yards or more. I think that a red dot might cover my target, and I like to place shots accurately. That brings me to a variable power scope. I like Vortex, so the 1-4X or 1-6X is appealing because those are a combination red dot and magnification (i'm open to other ideas). The question I have is can I get enough elevation over the barrel to see over (or through) that front sight? I don't want to buy it if I can't, Returning can be a pain.

Further, for home defense, I have a very nice Bonelli 12 gauge w/18 inch barrel for that, and a CZ Scorpion carbine 9mm (Vortex red dot Sparc). and my Sig P938 with nite sights, so a fourth defense gun would only be used if my assailant was attacking from 100 yards.
I only shoot range to 100 yds so take this with grain of salt:

I got the vortec Strikefire II red/green. I love it. It's not magnified but it is as accurate as my plain eyeball is, maybe even more.(?) IMO the size of the dot on the target is as 'bad' as the size/width of the stock front sight post on the target, so no harm/no foul there.

Just make sure to re-tighten the mounting screws at the picatinny rail after a couple rounds and then again after a couple of magazines. I was that idiot at the last range who was zeroed just fine for the first half-hour then group started getting wider and began chasing an illusive and unobtainable re-zero for naught; finally wrote it off to 'fatigue', gave up for another day, only to find when packing up that the mounting screws had vibrated loose... !
So yeah, re-tighten your lug nuts and recheck your tie-down straps after 50 miles. Turns out there actually IS a reason they say those things...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eotech IMHO is more then capable of being an all in one optic without magnification. With the reticle having the inner dot with the outer circle I find it extremely easy to engage near and far targets with ease. I've been able to hit at 300 meters without magnification with the eotech. and it is extremely fast for those close quarters. For the little higher price it is worth it to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my exact setup. I enjoy it and it isn't stupid expensive. Id love a trijicon but I'm not going to speed more than the rifle on an optic.
THIS.
That's the trouble with a (realtively) cheap gun - the finer mods cost more. And there is just some kind of general rule-of-thumb in life about not sending more on new tires than the old truck is worth...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.