New SA Forum member from Oregon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PDX1953, Jan 19, 2016.

1. PDX1953

PDX1953 Junior Member

Greetings from the southern suburbs of Portland. In December I bought a 9mm Compact Range Officer with CT Master Series Laser sights so I thought I'd join a group dedicated to SA.

Not new to guns at all - traded a 12" b & w TV for my first gun (High Standard Sport King) in 1971. Owned countless handguns since but usually only one at a time because I had a wife & two little boys a couple of years later.

Fast forward to 2009 when, after 37 years of promotions & relatively faithful service my company decided to eliminate my position. I wasn't alone - hundreds of us over age 55 with 25 or more years service got the axe because we were under a pension plan that had to be funded by the company.

I was born in Portland & worked here for the first 10 years, was promoted to Sacramento where I stayed for 11 years & then on to CT. I was there from May '93 - Dec 2012 & decided I'd rather be back here. Now it's no wife, great-grandchildren & I have disposable income so I've been disposing of a lot of it by buying guns & a big safe. Started mid 2013 & so far have bought around 40 firearms, mostly handguns. Got bit hard by the 1911 bug after I couldn't get a decent trigger for my Glock 26 EDC gun no matter how much I spent. Love my CRO & within the past two weeks bought a 9mm Colt Defender & a 9mm Nighthawk Ladyhawk w/o any markings on the slide (macho thing you know). It's a 2009 model & will be the the FFL tomorrow. A new one is $3700 & of course mine was considerably less but I never thought I'd spend that much on one gun!! I've bought a lot of the same model pistols I owned at one time or another but from here on it'll be quality over quantity although I'm looking hard at a RIA 22TCM. Rumor is they're introducing a new compact 1911 version at the SHOT show. I've seen photos of one that's being tested by another forum member & I'll probably buy one.

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Supporting Member Supporter

Welcome! We're happy you've joined us!

3. DudeLove

DudeLove Member

4. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Welcome to the forum from another Oregon Native! I'm out in Hillsboro.

5. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. I was born and raised in Portland too,Portland Indiana though not Oregon. :D

7. PDX1953

PDX1953 Junior Member

Been to Portland Maine a few times. Becky's Diner - best place in town for lobster rolls.

8. PDX1953

PDX1953 Junior Member

In Tualatin - too close to Cabela's. :D

9. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

We have similar problems. I live too close to Sportsman's Warehouse. :p

10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I've never been there,never been to Maine for that matter.

11. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

12. PDX1953

PDX1953 Junior Member

Cabela's Gun Library is like the TV show 'Cheers'.
    When I walk in they all yell, "Al!"

13. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

LMAO!

Gotta love that man.