Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local gun store last Friday and they had a gun that I had been searching for.
The gun is a Springfield Armory Loaded Compact CCO gun. Short grip with a 4 inch barrel.
Stainless slide on aluminum frame LW serial number made in 2001. Night sights although
dead. Its in great shape no photos yet. Looking for more information as I could not find
much on it. I called SA and they told me it was made in 2001.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First I called Springfield and they told me it was Compact Lightweight Loaded SS made in 2001.
When I took the grips off for cleaning it was stamped 2001 on the frame under the grip. It looks to
have been well taken care of. I especially like it because it uses a GI short guide rod and normal
spring not the captured assembly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone out there know the model number for this gun? The closest thing I can find is a PX9503L
but those are black and mine is all silver (stainless).

·
160 Posts
Does anyone out there know the model number for this gun? The closest thing I can find is a PX9503L
but those are black and mine is all silver (stainless).
Could be PX9161LP. You could call Springfield again. They should be able to tell you based on the serial number.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took it to the range and it was grouping well but about 4" high. I ordered new sight for it from warren tactical.
Taking it out this weekend to see how it shoots now. Solid black rear with u notch and tritium with white ring in front.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Took it to the range and it was grouping well but about 4" high. I ordered new sight for it from warren tactical.
Taking it out this weekend to see how it shoots now. Solid black rear with u notch and tritium with white ring in front.
Were you shooting off hand and at what distance? Or shooting from a rest? Has the pistol done much work from looking at the barrel? New springs fitted sine 2001?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed all new springs just because I didn't know the round count. Its last owner was a range officer in the St Louis police department. Looks like it was shot a little and carried a lot. I was shooting off a rest at 25 yards. I still hope to get to shoot for a while this weekend, tomorrow is my wifes birthday so it will probably be on Sunday. If mama's not happy then nobodies happy!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
To shoot 4" high at 25 yards is nothing. What was the group ? 3" More? This is my group at 25 yards a few months back and shooting 1 shot per second, off hand. I was happy with that as it was a new pistol and a bitch of a trigger which i have now replaced. XD 9mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Groups were about 4" but I like my point of aim point of impact to be the same, with the top of my sights lined up with the center of the target. It was shooting basically a combat sight situation.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i also as every other shooter would like to have point of aim and impact to be the same. This is shooting at a range, target practice or in a situation that one only has a pistol. The draw in either situation is critical, and should be less than 2 seconds from draw to first shot. Distance is a harsh reality, and placing several shot when tired, cold, hungry, adrenaline pumping and fear plays their part. Never heard of combat sight situation, it is get your pistol clear, good grip and sight picture and shoot. Don'r stand in the same spot once a shot has been fired and look around for what may be there.

·
160 Posts
I've always referred to combat sight as the center of the front sight bead corresponding to the point of impact. Most of my handguns are this way, except my Springfields. They seem to come from the factory with the top of the front sight matching the point of impact. If I use the center of the front bead with my Springfields, I hit high.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If we go back into history and examine the Colt .45 semi auto we immediately notice that the front and rear sight were very small. Post and rail, extremely difficult if not impossible to introduce a "combat sight picture". Or at least my Colt .45 ACP had this setup. The rifle i was fond of a long time ago was the L1A1 7.62 it had a rear peep sight, as did the M16. Throughout history there have been many ways instructors taught people to shoot, some great, some not so great. I was always taught and it is taught today, (for pistols) without exception, there is NO rear sight on a pistol, front sight only as it is impossible to focus on a rear sight and front sight at the same time. That is why a peep rear sight was so great. Easy target acquisition. I usually once a person has grasped the fundamentals of pistol shooting tape up the rear sight and force them to shoot both eyes open and focus on the front sight. Their shooting improves as does their speed of target acquisition. If the post and rail technique has the front sight level with the top of the rear sight this can be accurately seen, judging 1/2 way is more difficult and few people shoot pistol sufficiently to master such a technique? I assume that is why so many agencies are moving to red dot. One item to focus on, the dot. Guess in the States they have their way of doing things. Live and learn. So in pistol shooting where there is a target, front sight and rear sight, just what is taught ? Can't focus on all 3.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts