Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 3" base model today with 3 mags & carry pouch. Took it down & lubed it but won't have time to shoot it until Tuesday when I get a day off. I had been thinking of this one since it came out but I lean toward DAO guns so I didn't buy one right away. I did rent one last year & liked it. Decided it was time. Just slightly bigger than my SIG P290RS 9mm but holds 5 more rounds. Shopping for holsters now. Pocket & IWB. I've been shooting handguns since 1980 & now have 16 & a .22 rifle.

664 Posts
Welcome, Vinnie!

I carry my Cat in an Alabama Pocket Holster. It works very well. I suggest getting the one that fully covers the mag release so that the mag release does not get depressed in your pocket. I had that problem repeatedly carrying a Cat in a Sticky Holster (a brand that generally works well for me). That is why I switched to the Alabama. The Alabama Pocket Holster has put a tiny bit of wear on the finish in 2 friction areas, but I don't expect the finish on a frequently carried gun to stay perfect.

You might want to buy just a pocket holster first and see how you like it. I have a belly band rig and an IWB for my Cats but they just gather dust. Pocket is the only way I carry a Cat.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, Vinnie!

I carry my Cat in an Alabama Pocket Holster. It works very well. I suggest getting the one that fully covers the mag release so that the mag release does not get depressed in your pocket. I had that problem repeatedly carrying a Cat in a Sticky Holster (a brand that generally works well for me). That is why I switched to the Alabama. The Alabama Pocket Holster has put a tiny bit of wear on the finish in 2 friction areas, but I don't expect the finish on a frequently carried gun to stay perfect.

You might want to buy just a pocket holster first and see how you like it. I have a belly band rig and an IWB for my Cats but they just gather dust. Pocket is the only way I carry a Cat.
Yep they make good holsters. I heard about them on YouTube with Hickok45 & bought 5 or 6 over the years. Good holsters. Used to wait 3-4 months to get them, hoping that changed.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hello. I've been a Hellcat OSP owner for just a month or two.
I almost regretted it until I figured my grip and sight picture on this little thing.
Accurate (now) and reliable at around 250 rounds.
I personally think it's a little large for pocket carry. I have an old Remora that covers the trigger guard.
Experimenting with kydex single clip iwb now. Typically what I've preferred.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Finally got a little time to try it out today. I just put 3 magazines through it at 10 yards then shot my range gun. I fed it what I'll carry, Federal HST 124 grain standard pressure. 16 round & 10 round magazine worked. 12 round had one malfunction. Bullet stuck on the bottom of the feed ramp about halfway through the magazine count. Racked the slide & it fed. I think I just put 12 rounds in the 16 round magazine, I just see 12 holes. Anyway first shots are lower middle, then upper right then upper left. Started getting better 3rd group & I should improve in a few more trips to the range. Oddly enough my best group was with the 2 finger grip. Didn't expect that. Trigger weight is right where I want it for a carry gun. I tried it in my front jeans pocket with my kydex holster for the SIG & it fits fine. I would need to trim the holster in a few places so I just ordered a Vedder kydex pocket holster for the Hellcat. Sort of looks like a big wallet in my jeans but my shirt mostly covers it. Overall, I'm impressed. Glad I got this Hellcat. Or as Hickok45 called it the "Heckcat." : ) I'll run 100 more rounds of the HST 124 before I carry it. Maybe just needs a little breaking in. Oh, I should have used my .5 correction shooting glasses. The rear sight was slightly blurry for my old eyes.
Wood Red Line Font Recreation

· Registered
8 Posts
Finally got a little time to try it out today. I just put 3 magazines through it at 10 yards then shot my range gun. I fed it what I'll carry, Federal HST 124 grain standard pressure. 16 round & 10 round magazine worked. 12 round had one malfunction. Bullet stuck on the bottom of the feed ramp about halfway through the magazine count. Racked the slide & it fed. I think I just put 12 rounds in the 16 round magazine, I just see 12 holes. Anyway first shots are lower middle, then upper right then upper left. Started getting better 3rd group & I should improve in a few more trips to the range. Oddly enough my best group was with the 2 finger grip. Didn't expect that. I tried it in my front jeans pocket with my kydex holster for the SIG & it fits fine. I would need to trim the holster in a few places so I just ordered a Vedder kydex pocket holster for the Hellcat. Sort of looks like a big wallet in my jeans but my shirt mostly covers it. Overall, I'm impressed. Glad I got this Hellcat. Or as Hickok45 called it the "Heckcat." : ) I'll run 100 more rounds of the HST 124 before I carry it. Maybe just needs a little breaking in. Oh, I should have used my .5 correction shooting glasses. The rear sight was slightly blurry for my old eyes. View attachment 3632
Nice work.
I was surprised by my shots with the flat base as well. In my case, I think it helps to support "pinky shelf" and keep the barrel up.

615 Posts
Glad you got to try it out. I see a number of shots above the bullseye. I'm wondering if the Hellcat uses the top of the front sight as point of impact rather than the center of the front dot. I know that's the case on the Springfields I have. Which were you using? I'm figuring if you line the top of the front sight with the bullseye it will bring those impacts down.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you got to try it out. I see a number of shots above the bullseye. I'm wondering if the Hellcat uses the top of the front sight as point of impact rather than the center of the front dot. I know that's the case on the Springfields I have. Which were you using? I'm figuring if you line the top of the front sight with the bullseye it will bring those impacts down.
I'll try that. I was putting the front sight right in the middle of the bullseye.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fed it 100 rounds of 6 different FMJ then tried Federal HST again. 124 grain standard pressure. Got another jam. Front of the bullet got stuck on the bottom of the feed ramp 2 times out of 50 rounds so I'm looking for another carry round. LuckyGunner labs & YouTube have been helpful. The 6 o'clock hold did work well today. Shoots great for a tiny gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts