Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

673 Posts
E3000, welcome to the forum! Sorry you are having a problem with your new Hellcat. I have 2 Hellcats, both with somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-1000 rounds through them--a variety of ammo brands but mostly my own reloads. Never had a problem of any kind. I think Hellcats are very reliable. Burnout's comment about thick coating sounds like the most likely cause of the problem.

It's also possible that the bullets are not seated deep enough. If you have a caliper to measure with the overall case length should be no more than 1.169 inches according to Hornady. I load them to 1.13 or so.

You said you "added some gun cleaning oil..." Did you take off the slide and oil in the spots mentioned in the owner's manual? A lack of lube should NOT prevent a Hellcat from functioning unless it is filthy, but proper lubrication is always a good idea.

It's also possible that you have stacked tolerances--a few parts that are at max spec and which cumulatively put something out of spec. That would be very rare, and one would expect factory test firing to catch it.

If after cleaning, oiling and trying a more traditional round (regular jacketed hollow point or full metal jacket, preferably brass cases) you are still having the problem, you should probably call Springfield's Customer Service at 800-680-6866. They are usually very helpful.

Regarding your numbered questions:
1. People debate this but imho all guns have a break in period. However, good modern polymer guns can be very reliable out of the box, and breaking in a modern polymer requires nothing more than lubing once and shooting 100-150 rounds, usually without an issue. Expensive steel pistols can have longer break in periods and more problems during that period. The problem you are having is not routine break in for a Hellcat.

2. IN GENERAL keeping mags loaded for a week or so can help the mags to load more easily. I don't know how mags are pinned, how a 15 rd. mag is made NJ compliant, so that might not apply to you.

3. I have never experienced the condition you describe. It seems likely that if the trigger is locked in the backward position, then the striker should not be cocked, which would mean the gun should not fire. I am neither a gunsmith nor a professional shooter. I am not giving you advice! If I had a gun in the condition you describe, I would make sure the barrel was pointed in a safe direction. Then I would grip the BACK of the slide (not the front) as tightly as I could (perhaps wearing gloves to get a better grip) and with my other hand on the grip, I would pull the slide to the rear while pushing the grip forward until the slide came back and the stuck bullet was released. Then I would field strip the gun, look it over, and run a couple mags of snap caps through it to function check. If all seemed normal I'd try it with live ammo at the range. If it did not function perfectly with the snap caps, I would call Springfield or visit a gunsmith. Remember, that's just what I would do. I am not advising you on what you should do because I am not qualified so to do. Note: If you don't have snap caps it's okay to dry fire a Hellcat without snap caps, but the snap caps help to identify feeding issues and they prevent the damage that can be caused by LOTS of dry firing.

Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts