Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post since I just joined today. I own 2 Springfield Armory handguns. A XD-45 and my new XD-S Mod 2 OSP 9mm with Crimson Trace micro red dot. I just fired the pistol the other day to site it in and noticed how the trigger broke very hard. I checked the trigger with my Wheeler trigger pull gauge and the trigger pulls at around 8#. My XD45 pulls at about 6#.
My question is, with the gun unloaded and no magazine in the well, I can rack the slide, pull the trigger and the trigger does not reset until I re-rack the slide. Is this normal? The trigger on my XD45 with the gun unloaded and no magazine in the well, resets as soon as I pull the trigger which I'm used to.
I had very much trouble shooting the XD-S because of the almost 8# pull with my arthritic hands but had no problem with the XD45. Will the trigger pull lessen with more use? I'd like to make this my everyday carry gun but am a little hesitant because of the heavy trigger. Perhaps I should get a lighter trigger.
Any suggestions would be very helpful

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounds like you are experiencing the difference between a singe action and double action pistol. I don't have one, but I believe the XD-S is a single action pistol and the trigger has an uptake and then a "break", similar to my Glock. A single action won't resent after dry firing it.

·
553 Posts
I have an XD-45 (Mod 2) and a 9mm XD-S (not Mod 2). My comments are based on those 2 models, which are slightly different from yours.

1. An empty XD does NOT reset until the slide us racked. What feels a little like a reset is that the trigger moves forward some when released; however, it is NOT reset until the slide is racked. At least that is how mine works. One way to see this is to look at the Striker Status Indicator on the back of the slide. If it's not sticking up and protruding a bit, then the trigger is NOT reset, even if it moved forward a bit after you let go of it.

2. On an empty XD-S the trigger stays fully back, until it is reset--like a Glock or Hellcat.

3. In summary, the XD and the XD-S triggers behave differently, but neither gun resets until the slide is pulled back a little. Neither requires a FULL cycle of the slide to reset. Less than an inch backward motion will reset both.

At least that is how mine work. Both of mine are 5-6 years old.

The XD and XD-S have some differences in engineering. Another difference in functionality is that you cannot rack the slide on an XD unless the grip safety is depressed. However, at least with the original XD-S, you CAN cycle the slide without depressing the grip safety.

I also prefer my XD-45 over my XD-S, in part because double stacks feel better in my hands than single stacks. As for trigger pull, I don't have a gauge so I don't know the poundage at which the trigger breaks on my XD-S. I think most striker fired pistol triggers get better with use. I would not expect a 2 pound reduction with use, but I would expect it to get smoother. Consider using snap caps and dry firing your XD-S 200 times (not all at one time!) and see if you like the trigger better.

My XD-S now sits in my safe most of the time because for me everything a XD-S does a Hellcat does better.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an XD-45 (Mod 2) and a 9mm XD-S (not Mod 2). My comments are based on those 2 models, which are slightly different from yours.

1. An empty XD does NOT reset until the slide us racked. What feels a little like a reset is that the trigger moves forward some when released; however, it is NOT reset until the slide is racked. At least that is how mine works. One way to see this is to look at the Striker Status Indicator on the back of the slide. If it's not sticking up and protruding a bit, then the trigger is NOT reset, even if it moved forward a bit after you let go of it.

2. On an empty XD-S the trigger stays fully back, until it is reset--like a Glock or Hellcat.

3. In summary, the XD and the XD-S triggers behave differently, but neither gun resets until the slide is pulled back a little. Neither requires a FULL cycle of the slide to reset. Less than an inch backward motion will reset both.

At least that is how mine work. Both of mine are 5-6 years old.

The XD and XD-S have some differences in engineering. Another difference in functionality is that you cannot rack the slide on an XD unless the grip safety is depressed. However, at least with the original XD-S, you CAN cycle the slide without depressing the grip safety.

I also prefer my XD-45 over my XD-S, in part because double stacks feel better in my hands than single stacks. As for trigger pull, I don't have a gauge so I don't know the poundage at which the trigger breaks on my XD-S. I think most striker fired pistol triggers get better with use. I would not expect a 2 pound reduction with use, but I would expect it to get smoother. Consider using snap caps and dry firing your XD-S 200 times (not all at one time!) and see if you like the trigger better.

My XD-S now sits in my safe most of the time because for me everything a XD-S does a Hellcat does better.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the snap caps before I consider a new trigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts