New and Excited

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LadyXDM, Nov 24, 2014.

1. LadyXDM

LadyXDM New Member

Hey all, what a great forum full of endless resources and comradery & thanks for the guidance Gumpy. Although I've been around guns virtually my whole life, and I am no stranger to rifle/shotgun/muzzle loader/bow and arrow, this is my very FIRST hand gun that belongs to me! (Family has an arsenal) It's mine all mine! Did my research, saved my $, got my Springfield Armory XDm 4.5 9mm. I have yet to shoot it. Husband, dad, and brother don't want me scaring their deer away, theyve been scarce this year because of blue tongue last year. I have shot a couple Glocks of different calibers, and a .357 Magnum a handful of times altogether and would consider myself very green in this department. Love to learn and get different insights/opinions! Thanks for having me, here is a pic!.....
    ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1416849750.383028.jpg

2. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice. Welcome again!

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Welcome to the forum! Funny how it's always the one not hunting the deer that are scaring them. I guess the deer are comfortable with the usual arrangement, but get spooked when somebody's hanging around not shooting at them.

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It's funny that I was shooting my 35 Remington Contender pistol at some targets I'd set up in a field and 200 yards across the open field was a group of deer and they just watched me. I'd shoot,they'd look my way,I'd walk to the target to see where I hit and they'd watch me.They never took off,but you shooting in your back backyard is going to scare deer out of a woods who knows how far away??? :D Shoot there was 1 time while I was hunting and 2 young ones came up and I shot 1 of them and the other one watched me get my gear and go over to the 1 I shot and then followed me dragging his buddy half way through the woods. But that probably don't happen everyday ;).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  5. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

6. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

Glad to have ya here!

7. LadyXDM

LadyXDM New Member

Thanks all for the welcome! Happy Thanksgiving to each of you! S.H., those deer are interesting creatures no doubt! Sat out in the stand with my husband and the old Savage m220 this morning, nothing out there.. Shooting pellet guns with little nephews now! Cant wait to shoot my xdm:) soon!!

8. Winds

Winds Supporting Member Supporter

WELCOME!!!

I'm glad you found your way here. When you do get to shoot your new gun, post pictures of your targets. Have fun!!

9. gunjunkee

gunjunkee New Member

welcome love my springfields have the XDM and XDS you will love it. happy shooting

10. LadyXDM

LadyXDM New Member

Thanks! Will finally shoot my XDM this Saturday! I will take pics!

11. LadyXDM

LadyXDM New Member

ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1418621302.672942.jpg ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1418621371.182428.jpg
    Shot my XDm finally! I love everything about this gun! The guys were making fun of my empty shampoo bottle targets, what can I say the beauty industry AND the backwoods run deep thru my veins haha! I did manage to nail that liter bottle after a couple shots ran 250 rounds thru it, (and thru a lot of the tree stumps on our backstop) Good times! Any words of wisdom regarding precision? Even got to do a little comparing with my friends Glock 17. Love my Springfield XDm

12. johnnyonion

johnnyonion New Member

Welcome to the forum!

13. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey! Looks just like mine! I got lucky and won mine at an IDPA match (it was a random drawing, I don't shoot that well!)

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried the different backstraps on your pistol to see which fits you best? Other than that, precision is pretty much the usual. Sight picture, trigger press without disturbing the picture. How can something that sounds that simple be so easy in dry fire and so difficult live?

14. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Very cool range! I suggest you host the Springfield Forum picnic and shootout!

If you want coaching, you need to post a target that you shot from at least 25 yards. Put about 20 rounds on the paper and post it. Based on what I *think* I am seeing on the target on the right, you were tending to shoot right. This is a common result of poor trigger control. As Balota said, you need to *press* the trigger with the pad of your finger, not with the first joint of the finger, and not *pulling*. But not knowing the distance you were shooting from makes diagnosing things much more difficult.

15. LadyXDM

LadyXDM New Member

Thank you for the welcome! Glad to be here! I have not tried the other backstraps, that's a good idea! I got so wrapped up in shooting it for the first time, I kind of forgot about those. I'm going to try that and some serious practice

16. LadyXDM

LadyXDM New Member

Pokute, picnic/shootout; now that would be a blast! Literally ha! I will be sure and record more specifically next time, distances etc! Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it!