Nelson Custom/Bob Marvel 22 Conversion

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pokute, Sep 19, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

After I bought the Peters Stahl 22 Conversion, I found myself talking to Larry Nelson of Nelson Custom about 22 conversion units in general. He explained to me that all 22 conversion currently being sold were based on either the Ciener or Marvel design. The Ciener design is a replacement slide that reciprocates in it's entirely, per Browning (approximately). The Marvel design is a replacement slide very much like the S&W M41 slide in design, with a fixed slide and sliding breech block.

Larry told me that Bob Marvel is currently working directly with him to perfect the Nelson Custom slide. By "perfect", he means to have it drop in with zero or very slight fiddling about, and to have it feed reliably with any ammo.

Well, I finally got around to installing the Nelson Custom unit on an SA MilSpec, and it was a drop in fit. I slide the slide on, installed the Marvel designed slide stop (designed to allow free motion of the arm for slide lockback while simultaneously permitting solid lockdown of the slide on the pin - Simple and clever), snugged up the locking stud which cams the slide down on the pin and also serves as the guide rod... And I was done. About 60 seconds the very first time.

I won't be able to shoot it until next week, but it sure is a beauty. According to Larry Nelson, Bob Marvel, and Rob Leatham, it really shoots. I'll be taking it to the range next weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I'm anxious to hear how this one performs. I'm sure it will be great. What is the cost of this one?

3. pokute

Well, it's technically a Marvel Unit 1 (The real thing, not the one being sold by "Marvel Precision", which is a company no longer associated in any way with Bob Marvel), so it ain't cheap. About $500, only available from Nelson Custom. If it seems like I am shilling for them, you're right, in a way, because they are a two man (father and son) shop producing a superb product - They can't afford advertising or paid endorsements, and they sell the thing at the lowest price possible. Larry Nelson's goal is to make it shoot as good as the S&W M41. I told him that for my review I would shoot it side by side with my M41, and he was fine with that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. Geezer

Geezer New Member

If it's as good as a Model 41, it's a goodun.

5. pokute

When Bob Marvel was making them himself, they often shot less than half inch groups at 50 yards. He says the current ones are better. Larry Nelson says that rifle folks will be interested to know that the individual parts are made by McMillan. There are no visible machining marks anywhere on mine.

6. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Looking forward to your opinion on it.

7. pokute

Me too. The damn weather here has made a range trip impossible, so I'm just blathering. I hope I can still stand behind the thing when I actually get it to the range!! Weather forecasting here is all nonsense. How could it be 90 outside and 93 inside?

8. pokute

Well, this was the other gun I took to the range yesterday with the Grizzly. I have a rule about not bringing only guns that need sighting in, because without something to compare too, the combination of wrong-pointing sights and an off day can make for a lot of wasted ammo. Yesterday was no exception.

What I can say is that the Nelson Custom 22 Conversion on an SA MilSpec frame (with 19# mainspring and detuned Clark 4 finger sear spring for a 2# pull) feels a lot like a Hi Standard Victor. One string of 10 shots at the 4" duelling plates at 50 yards yielded 8 hits on the 1.5" pole that the plates swing from (6 inches left with elevation unknown). Feeding was flawless with Federal blue box. Maybe I'll go back this afternoon and sight it in properly.