Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
New member and wanted to say "Hello" from Michigan...

Have a question regarding Hellcat slide cuts? Wonder if anyone has had their slide cuts enhanced due to poor grip due to health concerns (or other reasons)?

Was hoping to find some info on finding a way to get a better grasp on the slide due to arthritis?

Any thoughts will be helpful and if anyone knows of a gunsmith machinist in Michigan that would be great

·
Registered
264 Posts
If i may say that the Hell Cat has ample cuts both on the front of the slide and rear. I do not own one but have 2 other SP pistols. It may be you rack your pistol from the rear of the slide using thumb and finger? Not from over the top with your complete left hand getting a good grip at the front or rear of the slide?

·
160 Posts
If a person has trouble racking the slide it also helps to push the pistol forward with your grip hand as your holding onto or pulling back on the slide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us know what you think of its quality, the installation process and of course its performance. Be interesting to hear. Pics would be nice.
Thanks for the interest...

Will share what I find with pics...

Order now shows pending (as with everything else these days :) )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a person has trouble racking the slide it also helps to push the pistol forward with your grip hand as your holding onto or pulling back on the slide.
Thanks for the reply...
Agree on the push/pull...
My 1911's and Smith's and on and on don't present this issue to any degree... it's just that the slide cocking cuts on my Hellcat are barely there IMO... don't want to spend the value of the pistol to replace the slide with an aftermarket so I hope this little device does the trick...

Will share my experience when it arrives and is installed...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Reducing the recoil and hammer spring by a few lbs is also an option that works. I do that to all my pistols without a problem. However if some ammunition has a hard primer like Winchester it needs to be looked at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would one go about reducing the recoil spring tension? Replace the spring assy? Aftermarket products available?

Thanks

Reducing the recoil and hammer spring by a few lbs is also an option that works. I do that to all my pistols without a problem. However if some ammunition has a hard primer like Winchester it needs to be looked at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI, for those interested I just got a notice of "Backorder" for the TacRack device...

Sort of figures I guess...

·
Registered
264 Posts
FYI, for those interested I just got a notice of "Backorder" for the TacRack device...

Sort of figures I guess...
How would one go about reducing the recoil spring tension? Replace the spring assy? Aftermarket products available?

Thanks
What model of Hellcat do you own? barrel length? When you clean your pistol and take out the barrel and recoil spring what type of recoil spring assembly do you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Arachnigrip Slide Spider, put one on my S&W Shield several years ago snd works great in getting a good positive grip on the slide, and barely notice it is installed. arachnigrip.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t have a Hellcat but I just use a couple of dots of skateboard tape on slides that I need a better grip on. Function before form.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Skateboard tape is a great addition to use to get more grip when racking, however in some pistol shooting events this is not permitted. Hence why not consider reducing the recoil springs weight as that is allowed and is a much cleaner way. Many pistols for reasons that are known to some have 16lb or even 18 lb recoil springs, depending on the calibre. Reducing them by 2 lbs or more does NOT harm the pistol or its function but makes racking so much easier. Also look at reducing the hammer spring, another good idea. No, it will NOT damage the pistol, no matter how much you shoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply...
Agree on the push/pull...
My 1911's and Smith's and on and on don't present this issue to any degree... it's just that the slide cocking cuts on my Hellcat are barely there IMO... don't want to spend the value of the pistol to replace the slide with an aftermarket so I hope this little device does the trick...

Will share my experience when it arrives and is installed...
I have CC'ed my Walther P99C for 15 years. It is just a bit larger than the Hellcat, but not so much to cause me to think the Hellcat slide rack would be an issue, so with all the good reviews I bought two Hellcats on-line (without actually handling it) for both myself and my wife. My experience is the same as you, I have considerable difficulty racking the slide repeatedly. The first couple of times are ok, but when I am at the range, cleaning the pistol, etc I soon run into difficulty with repeated racks. Yes, I have always used (as suggested above) the most efficient methods of racking the slide and so I took out the P99C and did a side by side comparison: not trying to put down or elevate either pistol, but my Hellcat is considerably more difficult to rack than the P99C. Over the past several days I have been googling on this issue but have yet to actually purchase and try any of the 'helpers'. We are going to do our very best to adapt to the Hellcat, as we like it in every other way, and will be watching for comments on this forum, from what others have found that works. As a side note I am 73 years young, but my hands / arms / upper body condition is good (so that is not the problem). Looking forward to what others have tried, and found it to help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Question, are people racking the slide using thumb and finger at the rear of the slide or bringing their whole left hand over the top of the slide and grasping the slide will all of their hand? Pulling the slide rearwards with the left hand while pushing forward with the right hand? Still think i would change out the recoil spring and replace it with a lower lb rating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question, are people racking the slide using thumb and finger at the rear of the slide or bringing their whole left hand over the top of the slide and grasping the slide will all of their hand? Pulling the slide rearwards with the left hand while pushing forward with the right hand? Still think i would change out the recoil spring and replace it with a lower lb rating.
We normally rack our pistol slides by gripping the rear portion of the slide with left hand (right handed people) while holding pistol with the right hand, and then pushing the pistol forward with right hand. This is easily done with the P99C I carried for 15 years, but considerably more difficult (side by side comparison) with the Hellcat. Also, the Hellcat is enough smaller than P99C that when I am gripping the rear of the Hellcat slide with my left hand, I am obstructing the chamber port (and any casing that might be ejected).
For me it is easier to grip the front portion of the Hellcat slide with my left hand (in a configuration that avoids the muzzle) and push the pistol forward with the right. Also, this method (as compared to gripping the rear part of the slide) leaves the ejection port uncovered in case I was needing to eject a shell.
I have done side by side comparison of techniques, Hellcat vs P99C, and do not have a problem with the Walther which I assumed was due to the slightly smaller Hellcat, with maybe a stiffer spring as you mention.
I really like the Hellcat for a number of reasons, and have googled up several work-arounds, but am waiting just now to read reviews of people who have tried the different options.
In the case of my wife, at this point it appears very unlikely that she will be able to rack the Hellcat slide even with a 'helper'.
I am not trying to put down the Hellcat at all, it seems to be a great CC choice, but I do now realize that even though it is close in size to the P99C, I should have waiting on purchasing until we could actually hold one in our hand.

·
Registered
264 Posts
casting no aspersions on the Hellcat firearm but it is just one of many and not even built in America but imported. Striker fire pistols have the disadvantage of not having a hammer to cock which reduces the force required to rack them. Like cars one should always test fire a pistol prior to purchase at a range if someone owns one or at least in a store when making a possible purchase. As for racking pistols from the hundreds i have trained and all others the example you give of racking has no disadvantage or is unsafe. Covering the ejection port partially when placing the left hand on the rear of the pistol to rack it works and allows for a strong grip as it also allows the shooter to hold the pistol close to the body. Many also rack pistols covering the whole ejection port and i have not heard of any incident where this was an issue. However with the 3" model there is ample room for 4 average size fingers to grasp the slide. Many shooting competitors when asked to unload and show clear, remove the magazine and then deliberately cover the ejection port with their hand and retrieve the last unfired round. All the best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts