Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok I am thinking about a RO 5" for bullseye shooting and have questions

#1 are there RO pistols that do not have NM in the serial number or is there a serial number range that should be avoided?

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
Okay, here's a great opportunity to deal with the Springfield serial number prefix issue.

The prefix doesn't mean anything at all. Springfield doesn't play games.

When you buy a 1911, look at the finish first. There should be no roughness or machining marks visible on the sides of the trigger guard or the bottom of the dust cover. If you can field strip the gun, look at the finish inside the slide. Ideally, it should all look smooth and there should be no burrs anywhere. In the worst case the machining marks should be consistent and not deep enough to catch a fingernail. The lugs should feel smooth to the fingers. The breechface should be flat, and there should be NO countersink or chamfer around the firing pin hole.

In general, Springfield 1911's get better every year. A recently made Springfield should be finished nearly perfectly. Recently they have switched to SS bushings on all guns. The fit on the bushings recently has been perfect. Stick your finger in the muzzle and try to jiggle it with the gun in battery. It shouldn't move perceptibly. Look at the fit of the barrel hood in the slide at battery. It should show a 0.003 gap at the breech face. The rear of the slide should match up to the rear of the frame - You may have to cycle it FIRMLY by hand a few times to get it to lock up solidly if the gun has never been handled before.

After you shoot the gun a bit, you should see fine striations or rub marks on the barrel hood. That is a good sign, it means the gun is well fitted. You should see evidence (fine scratches or rub marks) of the muzzle sliding into the bushing. Your fingernail should not catch on them.

From the factory, the trigger will NOT be acceptable for bullseye. Don't kid yourself, the gun must have a trigger job for precision work (I did not feel that I could improve on the mating of the as-sold EGW trigger and sear - So consider upgrading - Don't forget to buy a pin set, a hammer strut, and an EGW (actually Colt Factory) sear spring if you do!). Also note that the EGW thumb safety has a dandy wide contoured shelf for resting your thumb when shooting bullseye.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to say that I might have got a early one or just a lemon it is real disappointing after all the good things i have heard about the RO , I will list the things that in my opinion have room for improvement .
#1 when they engrave the last three numbers of the serial number don't put it where the disconnected path is, mine was so rough it cut groves in the end of disconnector.
#2 don't use a sander to remove burrs on breech face around firing pin. mine has a irregular wallow that measured .25 by .35
#3 the J cut on breech face should be same depth a the rest of face, mine had a .004 step
#4 the center leaf of the sear spring should be smooth at contact point of disconnector, mine was sharp edge and had all ready gouged the disconnector just from people playing with gun at gun show.
#5 when they put the grip screw bushing in if they bugger one up change it out before putting wood on, on mine they did bugger job and left burrs about .015 high on both sides of one bushing then forced the wood down over it and cut groves on each side of hole.
#6 the plunger for the slide stop was rough on end and to long there, on mine there was no way to slide stop in with out at tool to push plunger in with.
#7 the barrel to bushing fit should be less than .0031
#8 the bushing to slide fit less than .0034
#9 the gun was full of grit, it felt tight when I bought it but after cleaning out it is loose!
:eek: to say the least i ma very unhappy with Quality of RO

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
Oh my... That gun is seriously messed up. I'd send an email to [email protected] and tell all that to the custom shop manager. I think you deserve to get it made 100% right on SA's nickel. That wallow around the firing pin cannot be repaired without heroic measures, as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Sounds like that one could be used for an anchor for a trot line. I don't ever recall ever hearing that much wrong before. Must of been made on Friday or Monday! Lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping to use for EIC matches but it won't out shoot my 40 year old colt government.
being I already fixed some of the things and some can't be fixed I have heard if you get unlucky might as well put a kart barrel and bushing in buy new hammer sear and disconnected drill tap for red dot rib then I will have wad gun.
and find something else to use in EIC.

well I am done ranting need to have cool down before calling springfield to see if I have any recourse maybe put it back in the box forget it for a wile!

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
If it does not perform as quoted, that is what the warranty is for. Keep us up on your progress. I'm curious about what they say!

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
Seriously, get an RMA and return it to SA. They will make it right. If they decide that you have to pay for some part of the work, it will still be much cheaper than any other option. Then decide what you want to do with it. And hang onto that Colt! I've got one in my stable too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I got my RO back form SA today what a waste of time and money I had found two more items to ad to the list of things that was not right the firing pin stop had .006 slop ( you could slide a .006 feller underneath it and it was to narrow letting to extractor clock ,and the extractor was to long when you put a factory winchester 230 ball load in and slide it under the extractor ( with slide off frame) the end hits the bevel on case and holds it away from breach face about looks like about .005\.006 hard to tell what tip me off was it was marking the fired cases.

long story short they had my RO for 12 days sent it back and did not fix one thing out of my list of 11 complaints all thought some i had fix some I would thought that i should have got a new barrel bushing that fit slide and barrel and new slide stop pin and new disconnector and new extractor and fire pin stop that fit right.

moral of this story warranty not worth the paper it is written on!!!!!!!!

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
That really sucks. Do you have the name of the technician that evaluated your claim? I think we should pursue this until SA acknowledges it, makes good on it, and promises to try to do better in the future. I'd have no problem with calling SA on Monday and asking them to stop selling 1911's if they can't service them. It's no skin off my 455 if my next pile of 1911's say Colt on them.

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
I just sent an email to Debi at SA.

Followup: PM to Deerspy

SA will not post in the forum, but they will investigate the case.

Fingers crossed!

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
Any news from Springfield?

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
I am surprised that SA treated you that way. I've had only a few interactions with them (they make good guns that don't need much work). But the few times that I have sent stuff to them has been handled extremely well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had sean a lot of talk about how good they were at fixing problems, I have not got any response to my email to them i would have thought they could at least call so we could discus the things that I think should be fix on there dime, and if they don't want to fix them they should tell why, I don't get it, but they got my money so they aren't out any thing.:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts