Need help with Omega pistol

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Willielee, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Willielee

Willielee New Member

Good morning, I am new to this forum but I currently own a few Springfields, so I am pretty familiar with the breed and I have owned just a couple of Springfield Omegas and linkless 10 mm's.
    I recently traded into an Omega that has me a little puzzled and I am hoping someone out there can fill in the blanks for me.
    It is not a Springfield product, the markings are OMEGA on one side and nothing on the other side of the slide. Serial numbering on the frame is P-00xx-S and the barrel and slide are serialized the same, 5" ported barrel and slide in 45 ACP, parkerized finish with nickel small parts.
    I suspicion that it is an import from Germany after the divorce between Peters Stahl and Springfield, but I cannot find any information on the gun. I have the opportunity to purchase additional caliber barrels for this if I decided to.
    If there is anyone out there that can help me, please chime in and thanks in advance for the help.
    Willie Lee

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

You are pullin' my leg, right? What do you want to know about the Omega? And yes, if you can get the 10mm top-end, you better grab it quick, because the Omega without the 10mm guts is like having a Harry Pope rifle that's been smooth-bored by uncle Bubba. Get all the caliber conversion stuff that is being offered to you. You happened onto a real find.

Anyway, I can tell you whatever you want to know about it. One extractor or two on yours?

And if you can,please post a pic of the recoil assembly. I suspect there were interesting variations to it over time.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

3. pokute

Just want to let folks know that we have been talking a bit offline. If Willielee doesn't mind, I'd like to copy the conversation into the forum, since I think any new info at all about the Omega would be interesting to the dozen or so folks who actually shoot them.

4. Willielee

Willielee New Member

Omega help

Pokute,
    I have no objection to posting our conversations here, and I agree the more information out there, the better.
    Here is a picture, including the guide rod assy.

Attached Files:

5. pokute

Hate to be difficult, but the important part of the guide rod is in shadow in that pic! Need to see the pin slot. But from that pic, I am seeing considerable deviation from the Omega design. More pics please!!

6. Willielee

Willielee New Member

Omega pictures

Here are a few more detailed pictures of the guide rod.

Attached Files:

7. pokute

That's what I wanted to see on the guide rod. That's the "improved" investment cast single piece guide rod. Late models of the Omega had that as one of the cost-saving changes.

The important thing about the Peters/Stahl design is that the slide is beefed up and closely fitted to the frame rails, and the barrel locking lugs are extremely strong. These guns can handle significantly uprated loads. Note that you should use heavy grease on the locking lugs, and clean and replace it regularly. Replace your recoil spring often, since it derates rapidly. Using a thick glass reinforced nylon washer as a shock-buf will improve the handling of the gun with heavy loads.

8. Willielee

Willielee New Member

Many Thanks

I want to thank Pokute for his help with my inquiry and sharing his knowledge and advise.
    He is a credit to this forum and to this hobby.
    Willie Lee

9. pokute

I can already here the spurs clanking up the main street... "I hear you're some kind'a bigshot around here..." Quick, mods, reset my post count and likes!!

10. irocguns

irocguns New Member

I have a linkless and need a couple parts, I would appreciate any help. Specifically the little piece kind of partial ring that fits onto back of recoil rod looks like it functions as a buffer...this fell off and got lost when I was cleaning. I would be interested though in any and all parts.

Thanks!