My first Springfield

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by njsportsman, Dec 30, 2016.

1. njsportsman

njsportsman New Member

Well, my first Springfield 1911 that is. i just bought the Loaded operator. A real beauty but, i have a question and that is: In exercising the slide it is really difficult to do so is that normal? Now I know there is a such thing as break in but when i tell you it's hard to pull the slide back i mean it takes some strength. None like in any other firearm I ever purchased. It goes back and when released forward it needs help going all the way way to ready. My LGS said it probably needs some rounds through it. thanks

Attached Files:

2. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Welcome njsportsman.

Don't let anyone tell you different because there is a break in period with any new gun.
    The more you shoot it the better and easier it will function.
    I have a couple of pistols that state in the owners manual that 200 rds are required before ease of operation is achieved (break in).

Glad to have you join us and post away.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard njsportsman,you should pop on over to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. Vin63

Vin63 CH3NO2

Congrats on your Loaded purchase! Although the in the photo it does not look like an Operator (light rail). Regarding the manipulating the slide, have you done a field strip, clean, and lube? I typically do a detailed strip, clean, and lube before shooting it.

5. njsportsman

njsportsman New Member

My bad your right I misspoke it just an Loaded but, thanks for the recommendation. I will do a field strip some time this weekend. I have been cleaning all my weapons as its the quarterly clean them whether they need it or not.

6. Empervious

Empervious New Member

I bought a loaded MC Operator in September and the first thing I noticed was how stiff the slide was. I've put probably 800-900 rounds through it. It has loosened up some but is still very tight. But the accuracy and reliability is awesome.

7. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

This comment concerns me, "It goes back and when released forward it needs help going all the way way to ready."

If you pull back the slide and you let it go, it should certainly return completely into battery. If it does not do so AFTER you have cleaned and lubricated it, please consult some of the 1911 experts on this forum.

8. Empervious

Empervious New Member

I've never had any issues with mine returning to battery. Always returns, every time, with all types of ammo.

9. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Besides being new (stiff) he may be letting the slide ride forward instead of pulling it all the way back and releasing it. Also a touch of oil on the slide rails may help.
    If not contact Springfield customer service.

LET US KNOW EMPERVIUOUS.

Customer service representatives can take your call Monday through Friday 8:30 to 4:30 CST.
    US: 1-800-680-6866