Mossberg 500 Barrel Change Question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RevV, Dec 19, 2016.

1. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Can anyone comment on what is involved in swapping barrels on a Mossberg 500?

I am trying to decide between a regular 500 and a FLEX. If I can easily swap barrels on a 500, then I don't a FLEX.

All replies appreciated.

2. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Btw, I have read in several places that switching barrels on a 500 is a one minute or less job, IF the parts are compatible and the mag tube is right.

If anyone has any cautions about certain mag tube lengths, etc., please share them here.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

It's real simple,just slide the slide (pump) back all the way cocking it, then slide it back forward 1/2 way,unscrew the bolt (which is just snug) on the end of the mag tube and pull the barrel forward and off. Slide the new barrel on,tighten down the bolt and slide the slide (pump)the rest of the way forward.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

JERRY NAILED IT...!!

Own two...a Model 500 Cruiser and a Model 590a1.

5. squirrelhunter

I've only got the 1. I've had it for a long time after going through like 5 or 6 different shotguns trying to find a good 1 and love it. My son's used it and bought 1 too plus I got 1 for my 2nd wife. We change from the long barrel to the slug barrel and back all the time.

6. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Thank you, squirrelhunter!

I went to Cabela's yesterday to pick up my new 500, and both bbls. were very scratched.

The associate said that the gun must have been a display model in another store and that the damage looked like it had been caused by taking it in and out of the display rack repeatedly. He assured me it was not a Mossberg issue, and I lean toward believing the associate's explanation.

He was embarrassed about the damage, so much so that he offered me a $100 gift card, if I wanted to accept the gun as it was. I opted to wait for a new one. The scratches were significant enough to invite future rust.

7. squirrelhunter

That was the best way to go I'd say. I'm sure you'll love it once you get it.

8. SHOOTER13

Yep...love mine !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Beautiful 590 A1, Shooter! I'm sure the bayonet comes in handy, like when 9 rounds of 00 Buck fail to stop an intruder, or when you have to finish off an especially aggressive squirrel!

Just kidding. It looks awesome!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  10. SHOOTER13

I've actually shot it with the bayonet attached...worked perfectly !!

{ And yea...squirrels don't have a prayer. }

11. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

HELP! Cabela's Seems to Have Lied to Me After Sending me Trash

Update on severely scratched Mossberg 500 from Cabela's:

The gun is a Cabela's exclusive field and home defense package with an 18.5 inch barrel plus a 28 inch bbl. It has the black synthetic stock. This combo does not even exist on Mossberg's website; on the Mossberg site this combo has the wood stock and there is no black synthetic option. Were it not a Cabela's exclusive, I'd have purchased from my local gun store with whom I have a good relationship.

Because I live an hour and a half from the nearest Cabela's, and because they never should have filled my ship-to-store order by sending a gun that looked like it had served as a chew toy for a T-Rex, I was able to convince Cabela's to ship the gun to my local gun store, thus saving me another 3 hours of driving.

Since it was so clearly a stain on their customer service reputation, I was able to convince the Cabela's rep that Capela's should also pay the $35 transfer fee charged by my local gun shop.

The gun arrived at my local store; I picked it up, but I had to pay the $35 transfer fee because Cabela's did not include the promised $35 check or even a gift card!

I have called the Cabela's rep. FOUR TIMES on his cell phone number over the past 8 days. He has not returned any of those 4 calls.

Do any of you have any ideas of what I should do next?

Should I call my nearest Cabela's and explain the situation?

Should I write an unfriendly review on Cabela's site including all that I've said above?

Should I threaten to post an unfriendly review on every gun forum I can find?

I could just eat the $35 and be happy with my new shotgun, but I feel lied to and cheated.

I'd appreciate any advice or comments from the Springfield Forum community.

12. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would definitely call Cabela back and talk to the supervisor at customer service.

13. SHOOTER13

I'd already be in my Jeep on the way to kick some REP butt !!

Gun would also come...I'd GET MY $$ Refunded too !!

{ Pray for me Rev...I GOTS way too much testosterone...}

14. HCARTER

HCARTER New Member

What's the verdict on a Hawk 982 Tatical Shotgun?

15. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Update: Cabela's finally made it right. They gave me a $35 gift card to cover the transfer fee, almost as promised. They promised cash, but since I can always find something to buy at Cabela's, I'm satisfied with the resolution.

16. SHOOTER13

Good to hear Rev !!

Get $35 worth of 00 BUCK and have a blast...

17. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Spent the $35 on a box of .45 ACP and a box of 9 mm.