MilSpec Project Gun

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by pokute, Aug 8, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Here's an update on my MilSpec project gun. For the benefit of new folks and the elderly I will recap some of the story.

I bought this gun in 2014, when my LGS got a big shipment of SA 1911's in and was willing to let me inspect all of them and pick the best one. So, this was the best of, Um... I think it was 8 guns. It beat out a couple loaded's and an operator, and a handful of MilSpecs in Park and SS. This gun had practically no machining marks and the slide to frame fit was "National Match".

It had nearly perfect lockup "out of the box". I decided to install an EGW 0.200 slide stop and a #3 link, and then file on the frame, barrel, and bushing until the lockup was dead solid. Then I polished the barrel and bushing until the bushing would turn easily by hand, but with zero clearance. I relieved the stop pin hole in the link until lockup and lockdown were buttery smooth. Quick trip to the range and it would hit a 1 inch chain at 100 yards after adjusting the rear sight for windage.

Then installed an EGW sear & disco, Colt light sear spring, and a C&S USMC hammer (It looks classy - I had to regrind it to remove the roll-off) and set the pull at about 3 pounds. Swapped the pins for nice shiny EGW pins, swapped the spring plug for an EGW plug, ditto the MSH. Installed WWII GI trigger and thumb safety and a vintage King's grip safety.

Polished the grips and replaced the grip screws with vintage King's narrow slot grip screws.

Last two things will be to drop the trigger to 1.5 lbs using a Clark 4-finger spring, and zero the factory sight elevation for swaged HG68's over Unique at 1000fps at 100 yards.

Pic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. pokute

My first MilSpec Project Gun:
    [​IMG]

3. pokute

Notice the difference between the slide cut and thumb cuts on the 2011 vs the 2014 frame? New tooling for 2014.

4. gstolz24

gstolz24 New Member

Great guns, I have the loaded model. I am looking into a mil spec.