Micro Compact Guide Rod Question

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by adanac, Jun 17, 2016.

1. adanac

adanac New Member

2. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

??????? Micro compact (kimber) ? sorry it might be me

3. adanac

adanac New Member

Sorry, are you asking if I'm asking about a Kimber? If so, no.

4. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

guess you missed it also . . . . .no i'm not asking about a kimber.
    Forgot SA also uses "compact micro" on a 45 . . . . . many MFGs do.

Whats are the specs of the stock spring?

Okay . . . found out the std spring is 21 lbs.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  5. adanac

adanac New Member

I'm guessing no one has ever done this.

6. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

what were you trying to accomplish. faster or slower cycle?

7. adanac

adanac New Member

Yes, I would like to try a slower cycle. I'm having chronic feeding problems that persist with various types of ammo and magazines. I'd like to see if it's returning to battery too fast to feed.

8. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

What specific feed problems ? with various ammo and mags . . . . you need to cut down the field of variables first. Put on your detective hat, process of elimination, write it all down. How old is the gun, how many rds thru it, any other mods to it, or has there been any factory repair work done in the past? Did these issues start when new or after X amount of rounds. With factory mags only or aftermarkets? Only ball ammo, reloads, hollow points . . . . .etc. After it fails have you taken a picture of the failure, looked at marks on failed ammo. Only with full mags or only the last two. Many good heads here will jump in to help as you progress, keep it posted.

Pain in butt . . . . yeah. BUT you'll have more confidence in the gun once
    you solve the problem.
    My Kimber Ultra carry 2 (short barrel) doesn't like hot / high velocity loads. nothing special stuff and it runs just fine

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  9. adanac

adanac New Member

Bought the gun used so most of those questions cannot be answered. I only shoot ball and it happens without pattern. Often, the bullet will get stuck point up into the barrel hood.

In any case, the question before us is whether anyone makes a guide rod assembly for this gun that can be taken apart, i.e., with a C-clip.

10. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

Well okay if you have it down to changing the spring . . . go for it.
    Contact SA for possible options. good luck.

11. adanac

adanac New Member

Changing the spring may not do it but it's my next step. Springfield does not make a guide rod that is generally considered user-serviceable. You can only get the stock spring from them (which I may do in any case). What I'd like to find out is if someone does make one that will fit this gun.