Magwell Installation

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by ad5md, Jan 8, 2016.

1. ad5md

ad5md New Member

I just picked up my 9mm R.O. tonight, finally after week of excitement waiting for it.

Inspecting the MSH I noticed that there are 2 holes , 1 for the key and another for a pin to hold the spring, I guess? I am planning to inatall a S&A magwell to the pistol. Now, what exactly is the purpose of the key and pin holes? Will it affect the function (safety & reliability) since the 1 pc magwell does not have those ? Or I can still gonahesd and install the magwell?

Also, is the kit supposed to come with a snap-on plastic stopper to aid in the field stripping? Mine did not. Tnx

2. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Mine came with the guide rod stop takedown. You can get them at MidwayUSA but they only come in a pack of 5. I went ahead and got a pack just because these are tiny little pieces of plastic that could go flying at any time. They tend to disappear. :)

Your manual will describe the function of the Springfield Armory Integral Locking System (ILS). It can be removed without affecting firearm operation.

3. ad5md

ad5md New Member

Thank you for the reply SA_Shooter. I called Springfield and they will send one to me. Nonetheless I will still order them from Midway for backup.

I am going to order the magwell from Smith & Alexander, just searching for info re: the spring on the MSH. I read somewhere that I need to change the spring and caps for it to work. I hope someone can chime in

4. mgardner

mgardner New Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  5. ad5md

ad5md New Member

Parts just came in...went with the Ed Brown Chainlink III magwell/MSH assembly and 1911 Rebuilt Kit. I'm impressed with the magwell/MSH finish, just like the S & A I installed on my Kimber. Now i just need to find time to work on it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  6. ad5md

ad5md New Member

Finally had a chance to work on the pistol. Removing the MSH w/ ILS and installation of the Ed Brown 1 pc magwell/MSH and 19# spring (got the rebuilt kit) went without a hitch. Fit was awesome and I just love the trigger pull...breaks crisp and smooth like butter! Was about to adjust the pre-travel but decided to leave it as it is since it will be my alternate EDC with the Kimber .45acp. Below is the target from 10 & 12 yds.

Added the picture of the pistol after the Ed Brown Magwell/MSH was installed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016