Springfield Armory Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear all the thoughts on if you all think if this a wise idea or not and if so why.

Do you think it's a good idea to keep rounds kept in a magazine during storage in a tactical trap indefinitely or swap out magazines, or rotating mags out to destress spring compression after a time?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd like to hear all the thoughts on if you all think if this a wise idea or not and if so why.

Do you think it's a good idea to keep rounds kept in a magazine during storage in a tactical trap indefinitely or swap out magazines, or rotating mags out to destress spring compression after a time?
I have over very many years consistently swapped over magazines and even at times unloaded a full mag and sort of put it to one side, even though i was told years ago the magazine spring will be fine. I also never use the same rounds and use them at practice. Don't think there is a hard and fast rule it's a personal thing. I know someone who loaded an AR mag and left it alone for a year, fully loaded. Then took it to the range to prove after 12 months it fully functioned. May have been different in the "old days" lol.

·
456 Posts
There is a lot of incidental data suggesting that it's fine to leave mags loaded for years, even decades. That said, I only keep my CC mags loaded for 2 weeks at a time, then I unload them and load up a different pair. I also remove the chambered round and release my striker weekly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts