Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used M1A from someone in a gun show. 5 magazines came with it. An original Springfield 5 rounds, a 10 round and 3 20 rounds. I used the 5 round clip and fired the rifle for the 1st time. I was expecting it to eject the empty cartridge and inject the next round. That didn't happen. I manually ejected the empty cartridge and reloaded the next round. My ? is there a defect in my rifle or is the 5 round magazine supposed to perform like that? I haven't tried the other magazines yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you tried the other magazines? Were you using factory ammunition or reloads? I believe the ejector should eject the spent cartridge form all magazines. The bolt should strip the next round and chamber the cartridge.

if this is happening on all mags inspect the extractor for damage or carbon build up. Chamber a dummy round and see if it gets ejected when you rack the bolt. Or if you’re on the furring line you can use a live round but be mindful of all safety rules.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried the other magazines? Were you using factory ammunition or reloads? I believe the ejector should eject the spent cartridge form all magazines. The bolt should strip the next round and chamber the cartridge.

if this is happening on all mags inspect the extractor for damage or carbon build up. Chamber a dummy round and see if it gets ejected when you rack the bolt. Or if you’re on the furring line you can use a live round but be mindful of all safety rules.
Thanks for your reply. I found the culprit after doing some research. It was the Gas Cylinder. It hasn't been cleaned in quite some time. I purchased the rifle used. It had a lot of carbon build up. I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. It works just like it is supposed to now. (y):)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I found the culprit after doing some research. It was the Gas Cylinder. It hasn't been cleaned in quite some time. I purchased the rifle used. It had a lot of carbon build up. I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. It works just like it is supposed to now. (y):)
Glad you figured it out. I think every 300-500 rounds this should be done. Also make sure the gas holes are lined up on reassembly.

Since the rifle is new to you you might want to do a lubercation maintenance on it but my guess is you’ve already done it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you figured it out. I think every 300-500 rounds this should be done. Also make sure the gas holes are lined up on reassembly.

Since the rifle is new to you you might want to do a lubrications maintenance on it but my guess is you’ve already done it.
Yes, I did a Lubrication Maintenance on it. It needed it. There was a lot of gunk build up. It functions like new now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts