M1A Scopes

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1A Rifle' started by rogcat1, Dec 5, 2015.

1. rogcat1

rogcat1 rogcat1

Well, I spent a considerable amount of money on the rifle with the archangel stock, (which I really like) then went cheap on a scope. Result:disaster.
    Anyway, I want a decent scope, but would like to keep the outgoing funds at a reasonable amount. Anyone out there have any suggestions as to a decent scope without breaking the bank?

2. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

In my experience I've had good results with Nikon scopes.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I usually get either Simmons or Bushnell but also have a couple Thompson/Center scopes.

4. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm like the bear. I'm partial to Nikon. Last summer I picked up a couple of Pro Staff with the bullet drop compensator for $25 each. They look and work flawlessly! But the last Pro Staff I bought they ran around $225. Not bad for a scope of that quality.

5. rogcat1

rogcat1 rogcat1

I ordered a Nikon P-308. Thanks for all the help. Will give a report after some range time.

6. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

7. rogcat1

rogcat1 rogcat1

I had a interesting few weeks after ordering a new Nikon P-308 from ebay. After not hearing from the individual I bought the P-308 from for about three weeks, no communication, no tracking number, no comments what so ever, and me sending email after email, I contacted ebay, and within 48 hours, had a refund. Ending up ordering the P-308 from Rock Hill Sports. Had the scope shortly after that. Got it mounted, and then the weather here in New Mexico went to s--t. I've been looking at Nikons "spot-on ballistics" charts, and find them very helpful. Hope the weather improves soon.

8. 1911inPA

1911inPA New Member

I have the Nikon P-308 on both my M1A and my Rock River Arms AR 10. Love the scope. Works great on both and the "spot on ballistics" app is fantastic. I would recommended it to anyone.

9. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Welcome 1911inPA, Good to see you finally posting. Drop by the itro section and say hello.

10. Docs_S

Docs_S Retired Corpsman

I've got a Nikon M-308 on another rifle, and it's worked very nicely. The P-308 is built on the Prostaff series, and the M-308 is a Monarch. They're both Nikons, so awesome bang for the buck either way, and the BDCs are already set up for .308 ammo.

11. ray55classic

ray55classic New Member

IMO The best bang for the buck is SWFA'a SS "Classic" series , available in MOA or MILs. side focus or rear.
    For $300/$400 you can get optics usually found on scopes costing twice as much ,
    and positive repeatable clicks in both windage & elevation.
    Of The 3 I've shot ,all were of the MOA variety...
    The 1x4x variable is perfect for CQB or hunting in woods with it's huge field of view it's on target quick.
    The 6x is about the pmost power I can use without a rest and not be using a sling in position,
    it's not too much magnification & probably the most reasonable all around single power.
    The 10x tactical comes into it's own on a rest with side focus and a usable reticle,
    it's so clear it's a joy to shoot even in the twilight ,
    and has enough power for the next zip code if you want to stretch her legs ,
    with the archangel stock like you have it would absolutely be my #1 pick for under $500.
    https://swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html?&brand=SWFA+SS&brand_model=SS+Classic

BTW What mount & rings are you using ?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  12. CaptHank

CaptHank New Member