M1 For Home Defense

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1 Garand' started by ThreeTango, Nov 15, 2016.

1. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

It could work as one option. When the first big batch of surplus M1 Carbines came out, they were snapped up quickly because of their weight and size. However as most Texas deer hunters found out, it was not optimum for deer hunting due to accuracy and lack of knockdown. Most went back into closets or gun safes. However everyone kept them.

2. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

M1 Carbine for Home Defense

First off, I think ANY gun one is comfortable and accurate with can be an effective home defense weapon, if need be.

I had a surplus M1 Carbine and one of its 30.06 big brothers back in the 90s. I enjoyed shooting both. However, I'd have a concern using either a PRIMARY home defense weapon. I'd be concerned that projectiles from either might penetrate walls and get loose in the neighborhood. That would be less of a risk with the Carbine, but it's still a possibility.

Of course most any projectile COULD exit a wall, but shotguns seem least likely so to do.

That being the case, this is one of the extremely rare instances in which I do not practice what I preach. I don't yet have a home defense shotgun. My nightstand piece is an XD Mod2 .45 ACP. Being a slow round, I figure it's less likely to do damage in a neighbor's house than something faster like a 9mm or .357 or 5.56.

What do you all think? Is a .45 that one shoots well a pretty good home defense weapon?

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I'd say it is,I use a .40 caliber by the way.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Any caliber that begins with a 4 will usually overcome those with mayhem on their mind !!

As far as Top's question...while the M1 carbine IS a nice battle rifle and suitable for home defense...my M4 carbine is quite "handy" in a dust up...and the .45 on my hip will seal the deal for survivors. ;)

5. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Typically my EDC not on my hip is the weapon on the nightstand. It is H&K P30SK LEM. There is a spare mag next to it. While may argue about a 9mm, it is reliable and accurate. The carry mag is a H&K 13 rounder with an X-grip to make it more comfortable.

A 9mm is an unknown for personal defense. I know a 5.56X45mm M193 round is a killer based on personal experience as is a 7.62X51mm. I've seen and used one in nighttime CQB. However my long guns are in a safe and not immediately available. As such if my 9mm gets me to the safe, great. If not, it (H&K P30SK) will have to do the trick.

6. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Sounds Safe

Thank you for you service! Nice hardware!