Looking for recommendations for best books on 1911s

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by FartingBear, Jul 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FartingBear

FartingBear New Member

Just getting my feet wet with the aspects of the 1911 world, and as in anything, there is no lack of self-declared experts on boobtube or things like it (not that there aren't qualified experts, but one has to mine for the gems).
    As I prefer having a book in my hand, so I've been looking at books about the 1911.
    So far I've purchased Walt Kuleck's first book of the series, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide. It seems pretty good so far, and exhaustive in it's scope, as well as comprehensive in it's topics. I've seen the Patrick Sweeney books, and I have a few general pistol/revolver smithing books by him, but I'm not sold on his 1911 books yet. Anyone recommend them?
    Otherwise, there are lists and lists of books, but I'd love to hear what experienced folks recommend for getting an in depth understanding of all aspects of the 1911, starting from the day John Moses was born, if possible.
    Thanks,
    FB

2. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Here's a couple to check out.

Good reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FartingBear

FartingBear New Member

Thanks! I just finished the Walt Kuleck book and it is completely worth every cent; I have a much more thorough understanding of how the 1911 works. I'll check out the books you suggested.

4. megafiddle

megafiddle Member

You may want to check out Jerry Kuhnhausen's two books, 'The Colt .45 Automatic' and 'The U.S. M1911/M1911A1 Pistols'

The first book (also maned Volume 1) covers operation, disassembly, reassembly, inspection, repair, accurizing. fitting parts and troubleshooting.

The second book (Volume II) continues on with more advanced and more detailed information. Also contains a great number of mechanical drawings with dimensions.

I have both books. They are quite good and very comprehensive.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  5. DudeLove

DudeLove Member

This from Cylinder & Slide Inc., The complete 1911 Cleaning Manual
    A comprehensive, step by step method to disassemble, clean and reassemble your 1911 pistol. Price includes shipping.
    Price:
    $20.95

6. FartingBear

FartingBear New Member

I've heard that one is great. I will definitely put it on my list Thanks