Looking for my first Springer

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by jdl2, May 11, 2015.

1. jdl2

jdl2 Junior Member

I'm new to the forum and certain this has been kicked around around before in some form or other but... be patient with me, I'm an old man

My EDCs are 1911s (Dan Wesson Commanders) or Sig P938. Wanting to by gov't Springfield without FCS. Doubt I'll carry. Know I'll shoot a lot. Could become a nightstand buddy at bedtime. Have never owned a Springfield.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Jim

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I'm not sure what you want to use it for. Could you be more specific? SA has shipped no guns with Flight Control Systems (or Fetal Calf Serum) as far as I know.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you find Springer on TV??? :eek: Sorry,couldn't resist.:D

4. jdl2

jdl2 Junior Member

What do you Springfield Armory 1911 aficionados call them??

5. jdl2

jdl2 Junior Member

Referring to front cocking serrations. Thinking home defense, doubt will carry. To be honest, last thing I need is another 1911 but I've never owned a SA. Lots of Colts & Kimbers, an Ed Brown Kobra. All gone but Dan Wesson CCO and Guardian, both 45s and carried.

I live in NY so we have a 10 rd cap on mags.

6. pokute

Well, just for shooting things at home, a MilSpec is the base model, and it should be fine. For close up work you might consider loading two 45 cal balls over enough bullseye to cycle the action with a 12lb spring installed. Should be great for shooting anyone that you want to kill who happens to be in your bedroom that you don't recognize. The effect is something like getting two pieces of half inch rebar jammed into you. 45's are fun!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  7. pokute

I thought maybe we were going to see pics of his new dog.

8. pokute

As for Front Cocking Serrations, I think that's got something to do with a plumber's wrench that's used for removing nipples and installing cock hole covers. In any case, about as useful as an extra thumb safety on the wrong (right) side of the gun.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  9. Geezer

Geezer New Member

You had to spoil it, didn't you?

10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Personally I call them Springfields,don't know about anybody else though. :D

11. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

the full size range officer seems to be a pretty sweet piece

12. pokute

I think he meant the Fiscally Conservative Strategy thing.

13. pokute

Yes indeed.

14. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

I have not had M1911A1s for very long, but the ones I have I like (Colt, SA, and LLama), and the RO is a fine piece (pic attached).

Attached Files:

15. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

Boy oh boy that thing is beautiful I'm the reason first time owner of a Springfield Range Officer Compact...does the full size.have the bull barrel as.Well? how can Springfield afford to put out such a quality gun at such a reasonable price? initially I was looking at Kimber and then I was looking at sig and then at the last minute I did one more scan of the 1911 cabinet and somebody pointed out the Springfield and after looking at them all 3 up close and manipulating them I find a Springfield seem to be more on point in terms of features as well as beauty on top of quality seems like a lot more sturdy of a gun

16. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

Absolutely love it...

Attached Files:

17. jdl2

jdl2 Junior Member

Thanks for pointing me in the "Springfield" Range Officer direction. Beautiful looking weapon and loaded with features of much more expensive brands.

Holy smokes, you really can get some help on this forum. For a while I was convinced this is a vaudeville show!

Thanks to all for your time and interest in helping.

Jim

18. pokute

This is a vaudeville show. That's what sets us apart from those other, boring forums.

19. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

Take my wife....please. <violin plays>

20. pokute

Junior member my aunt Fanny. Henny's been dead for 17 years!