Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Hellcat OSP yesterday. Why is the magazine so hard to load. I loaded the first one and then got half way though the second before my thumbs and patience gave out. There is a mediocare speed loader in the box that frankly doesn't help much. I know about the Maglula UpLula for $35 but that is like buying a new car and then having to buy a third party device to be able to put gas in it.

I can't imagine a woman owning this gun and I would not recommend it any of my sisters or any woman for that matter. I don't get it ...why would Springfield make the gun this difficult to load.

<w>

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
21 Posts
It's just the nature of stuffing 13 rounds into a small magazine, the spring needs to be pushing 13 rounds up, with some of that force being translated horizontally to funnel the rounds into the single feed from the double stack, and reliably cycle. You'll find people complaining about this on all the high capacity micro compacts pistols from every manufacturer on their respective forums, with the worst one I have being the S&W Shield Plus.

What I find kind of strange is you have always had the problem with a full sized pistol, with an even higher capacity magazine, and getting the last few rounds into it, but no one seems to complain about it since I guess it's expected for some reason.

You can store the magazine loaded for a while and it will help a little, but a spring needs to be cycled to wear, not just compressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!.... I have owned a number of pistols and I have a Colt 1911 but it is my first double stacked one. I guess I am just going to have to buy a Maglula UpLula if I can even find one in stock. At least I know it's not me. Have any tips for shoving them in by hand?

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
21 Posts
To be honest, I can't remember the last time I loaded a high capacity magazine completely full without using a speed loader of some kind, and when at the range I usually only load 3 to 5 rounds at a time to have the slide locked back and safe, which is something the range safety officers appreciate, when I stop and pull the target back to take a look at the group. Currently using this type since I can 3d print the things. Really not the best out there, but I have yet to break one and they cost next to nothing if you have a printer.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Plywood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Springfield included one in the box with their stamp on it. You won't find it mentioned in the manual which leads me to believe they started putting them in the box after a chorus of complaints. However, it's purpose is only alignment where as it appears as if the Maglula UpLula provides the clamping and the force necessary to insert the round. My friend in CA won't be so bothered about having only a 10 round magazine when I explain this to him. He will have a hard enough time just getting in those ten rounds!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It may be a matter of technique. I had trouble loading a different gun with a loader, then one day I got the hang of it.
Stand the magazine up on a flat surface. Use a full grip on the loader and depress the top round or follower. Slip the next round in til it hits the tongue on the loader, then lift the loader a half inch. The round can now be slidden fully into place easily.
I can load a Hellcat magazine in less than a minute, no sore fingers. I'm 67 with arthritis.
Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
319 Posts
With loading magazines, especially on new magazines it is as i found a good idea to cut of 1 coil or 1/2 a coil and this will in no way ruin the spring or created issues years down the track as magazine springs are usually changed ever few years or more depending on use. Magazines need to be hand loaded irrespective of age or strength. Once a full coil has been cut from the magazine spring it will feed 100% and i and many others have never had issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply!.... I have owned a number of pistols and I have a Colt 1911 but it is my first double stacked one. I guess I am just going to have to buy a Maglula UpLula if I can even find one in stock. At least I know it's not me. Have any tips for shoving them in by hand?
" I guess I am just going to have to buy a Maglula UpLula"

That is my solution, pice of cake with the Maglula.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why is the magazine so hard to load.... There is a mediocare speed loader in the box that frankly doesn't help much....
I can't imagine a woman owning this gun and I would not recommend it any of my sisters or any woman for that matter.
<w>
I got both my wife and myself new Hellcats for Christmas, and we both encountered exactly what you are describing. I have carried my Walther P99c for 15 years, which is a 10+1 setup, and never found difficulty in loading the mag, but just like you describe, I can not load the Hellcat mag w/o the loader they include.
That included loader, by the way, will become easier to use with some practice.
Next, although you did not mention it, I also had difficulty in racking the Hellcat slide, and my wife could not do it at all. Even though I had no difficulty with the P99c slide.
My own take on this, which may not be applicable to you, is that the Hellcat is just enough smaller that the slide is not nearly as 'grippable' for me. Couple that with my age of 73 and some loss of grip over the years, and there we go. I solved this problem though, by 1) purchasing some of the grip tape from Amazon and applying to the Hellcat slide, and then 2) practicing my racking technique for 10 minutes at a time, a few times during the day.
Now I am carrying the Hellcat regularly, and shooting / reloading w/o problem. My wife, however, can not handle it. In retrospect I realize I should have handled the Hellcat before buying it, but 1) it was only a bit smaller than the P99c so that I did not foresee the racking issue and 2) hands-on Hellcats were not to be found locally and I ordered it online.
Sooooo, back to the issues, I have been able to work-around all of them and now carry the Hellcat every day. Not so for my wife though.
As for quality, I believe the fit, finish and feel in the hand of the Hellcat is the equal of the P99C, and I appreciate the lighter weight and greater mag capacity (we got the 15 round mags), so everything has worked out for me (but not the wife)
Good luck with your Hellcat

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hellcat have several round count magazines. 10,13 and 15. So why not just buy a 15 round magazine and only load 10 as that would be much easier to load? Or cut one coil of the mag spring off, that will also cure the problem. Of better still as mentioned above there is a great magazine loader on the market and people in all clubs who shoot and load daily always use mag loaders. This loader, "UpLULA loader is a military quality" does the trick, note well it is military quality and hence even the military use them. Around $40.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a Hellcat OSP yesterday. Why is the magazine so hard to load. I loaded the first one and then got half way though the second before my thumbs and patience gave out. There is a mediocare speed loader in the box that frankly doesn't help much. I know about the Maglula UpLula for $35 but that is like buying a new car and then having to buy a third party device to be able to put gas in it.

I can't imagine a woman owning this gun and I would not recommend it any of my sisters or any woman for that matter. I don't get it ...why would Springfield make the gun this difficult to load.

<w>
Buy yourself a loader like Uplula 9-45acp. Will be the best $$$ you will ever spend.

·
Registered
10 Posts

<w>
I would agree with how hard it is to load. Frankly it’s the hardest one of all my gun mags to load. Just get the speed loader and be done with sore thumbs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with those above get a loader.
Both of my MOD-2's with the 16 round mags are brutal to fully load.
When I go to the range i only load 10 and use the Uplula for a full mag.

·
566 Posts
It's just the nature of stuffing 13 rounds into a small magazine, the spring needs to be pushing 13 rounds up, with some of that force being translated horizontally to funnel the rounds into the single feed from the double stack, and reliably cycle. You'll find people complaining about this on all the high capacity micro compacts pistols from every manufacturer on their respective forums, with the worst one I have being the S&W Shield Plus.

What I find kind of strange is you have always had the problem with a full sized pistol, with an even higher capacity magazine, and getting the last few rounds into it, but no one seems to complain about it since I guess it's expected for some reason.

You can store the magazine loaded for a while and it will help a little, but a spring needs to be cycled to wear, not just compressed.

PERFECT answer!

Most new mags for compact and micros that I have had have been tight and difficult to load to capacity. The quoted post above is helpful. I load new mags to one LESS than capacity with snap caps, let them remain that way, and I run snap caps through them 3-4 times every couple days. The mags eventually loosen up a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts