Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number one reason to use a green laser is daytime visibility. You will have a much easier time seeing a green laser in broad daylight than red. Green is close to the center of the visible light spectrum at about 532 Nanometers. Red is higher on the spectrum at 635 Nanometers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only issue using laser is that it identifies your exact position. Also with a laser it takes to long to aim and fire as you are looking for the laser, then you may have a very sunny day, which you don't want. Red dot is quicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only issue using laser is that it identifies your exact position.
Yeah, I have an Olight light/laser and I'm questioning whether I would use it in a self-defense situation such as a home invasion, as I have read stories of the bad guy targeting the light. On the other hand, I'm not young, and without my glasses on, the front sight is merely a blur. With a laser at least I can see what I'm pointing at. Things to consider.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, I have an Olight light/laser and I'm questioning whether I would use it in a self-defense situation such as a home invasion, as I have read stories of the bad guy targeting the light. On the other hand, I'm not young, and without my glasses on, the front sight is merely a blur. With a laser at least I can see what I'm pointing at. Things to consider.
Solutions: You have two options as i see it regarding home defence. Possibly more but to begin with. Try using a red dot, fitted to your pistol. There are several high quality red dots, also green dots fitted directly to the top of whatever you own. I am a big fan of Vortex as the battery last 1 full year without needing to be replaced. Hence i would look at that option. Or try a revolver using a .410 shotgun round. They are 5 shots and great for home defence.
"The Taurus Judge is exactly what it looks like: a revolver with a long, large-diameter cylinder. 45 Colt it can fire, this revolver can also chamber and fire . ... 410 bore shotshells — putting a lot of firepower into a five-shot revolver.".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Solutions: You have two options as i see it regarding home defence. Possibly more but to begin with. Try using a red dot, fitted to your pistol. There are several high quality red dots, also green dots fitted directly to the top of whatever you own. I am a big fan of Vortex as the battery last 1 full year without needing to be replaced. Hence i would look at that option. Or try a revolver using a .410 shotgun round. They are 5 shots and great for home defence.
"The Taurus Judge is exactly what it looks like: a revolver with a long, large-diameter cylinder. 45 Colt it can fire, this revolver can also chamber and fire . ... 410 bore shotshells — putting a lot of firepower into a five-shot revolver.".
Oh, believe me, I would love to have a Judge! I don't see any additional guns in my immediate future though. I have been pondering red dot, though. :unsure:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Red dots are great, i had one put on my XD last year and SP01. They are fantastic as a single aim point. Expensive, yes. To remove the rear sight on some pistols is difficult, the cost of the red dot around $400. Remove and Fitting etc if you cannot do it yourself is $200. The Judge sells for less than $500.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For me I would have to choose green.
I am red green color blind and I can pick up my fiber optic green faster over the red.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So you are "red green colourblind", but can pick up green faster?
Why they call it red green is a mystery to me.
I can see red and green.
Green can be picked up faster for me.
My trouble is certain shades of green and brown and certain shades of blue and purple.
My optometrist gave me a red lenses and it helps.
it is hard to explain to someone who is color fluent.
Red-green color blindness - All About Vision

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why they call it red green is a mystery to me.
I can see red and green.
Green can be picked up faster for me.
My trouble is certain shades of green and brown and certain shades of blue and purple.
My optometrist gave me a red lenses and it helps.
it is hard to explain to someone who is color fluent.
Red-green color blindness - All About Vision
This is not about color blindness
The number one reason to use green is daytime visibility. You will have a much easier time seeing green in broad daylight than red. Green is close to the center of the visible light spectrum at about 532 Nanometers. Red is higher on the spectrum at 635 Nanometers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Perhaps the option of a red or green dot, or any other colour, or even fiber optic front sights be left to the individual to sort out. The Cmore sights made and used for the past 20+ years in shooting sports has as far as i know been only available in red dot. I know because my pistols had them fitted and also every other competitor using them had red. Tasco also had a red dot. Now many manufacturers are making red dots for fitting to rifle and pistols. I have yet to see any other colour as an option, and if made i have not seen one fitted. There are several made in China available in green, and to me they are as good as any, so it remains shooters choice. I use now the Delta Pro Point and the Vortex Venom and also the Viper. As far as i know they come only with red dot? And even in bright sunlight with a 3 or 6 moa are perfect, even with the sun behind you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts