Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a Holosun for my hellcat and I would like to be able to co-witness it with the factory sights. When I take off the top plate, the proper holes line up for the sight to be attached to the top of the slide but there are 4 small pieces of metal that keep the factory plate aligned that keep the sight from seating flush. I made a spacer from aluminum stock but that moves the Holosun up to high to co-witness, has anyone filed the slide flat (removing those four nibs) in order to make the red dot sit flush on the slide and if so, how did it work?
Thanks for the help
Cliff

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
21 Posts
While I have never done it, yes, there are those who have modified the Hellcat slide to get a Holosun 407K/507K to work on the thing. What you need to do is remove the two back posts and shorten the two on the front. You really don't want to remove all four of the posts since they are there to keep things aligned, where I would guess you would create other problems if you torqued down just the screws enough to hold everything in place without them.

Pretty sure someone makes an adapter plate to mount the thing without modifications to the slide and have the physical pins to keep things in place, but I would guess that you would need to go to suppressor height sights to get the thing to co-witness.

FWIW, co-witnessing is nice to have and makes switching to an optic a little easier, but I'm fine without it. I have dovetail plates on my Hellcat and S&W Shield Plus and 45ACP where the rear sight is gone, but also have Trijicon RMRcc's on the EDC pistols, paying the bonus for the reliability. If I were you and insisted on co-witnessing things, either trade the Holosun for something else, or go with the adapter plate and swap the sights (which really isn't that hard to do, especially if you have the red dot zeroed and a reference to get the suppressor height sights lined up.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply tu_s, that;s kind of my thoughts as well. The longer I thought about it, the less comfortable I was making a permanent modification to the slide. Hadn't thought about the suppressor sights though. I did order a plate that will allow me to mount the Holosun without modification and will probably just get used to the red dot and not worry about the sights. I am going to the red dot because of my failing eyesight anyway so in the end it probably won't make much difference that I can't use the existing sights as I am having a really hard time seeing them. Thanks for your thoughts and help.

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply tu_s, that;s kind of my thoughts as well. The longer I thought about it, the less comfortable I was making a permanent modification to the slide. Hadn't thought about the suppressor sights though. I did order a plate that will allow me to mount the Holosun without modification and will probably just get used to the red dot and not worry about the sights. I am going to the red dot because of my failing eyesight anyway so in the end it probably won't make much difference that I can't use the existing sights as I am having a really hard time seeing them. Thanks for your thoughts and help.
Getting older too. The Hellcat was the first pistol I put a red dot on, and it makes things a lot easier compared to the reader in one eye glasses. On the back end of this, I have not put an optic on a 1911 since it is the platform I shoot well and can just point the thing, and it's always kind of fun being at the range where someone is watching and says "well he has a red dot", then pull out the old Officers ACP and shoot groups at 25 yards that they can't do at 25 feet, to give the new gun owner something to think about.

For what I have added to my collection since early 2020, 5 out of the 7 pistols have red dots on them, and the 2 exceptions are 1911's, all about having fun with it and improving on what you can do :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was gifted a Holosun for my hellcat and I would like to be able to co-witness it with the factory sights. When I take off the top plate, the proper holes line up for the sight to be attached to the top of the slide but there are 4 small pieces of metal that keep the factory plate aligned that keep the sight from seating flush. I made a spacer from aluminum stock but that moves the Holosun up to high to co-witness, has anyone filed the slide flat (removing those four nibs) in order to make the red dot sit flush on the slide and if so, how did it work?
Thanks for the help
Cliff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts