Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many who carry concealed or open carry in nonsecure open-top holsters. There has been a rash of guns being taken by thugs who just snatch the firearm for the unsuspected victim. To prevent this you should carry in a holster with some level of security to prevent a gun grab from a thug. These are some of the Holsters I use to prevent a snatch and grab incident. In my State, you are permitted to carry Concealed or Open Carry. Don't be a victim of a snatch & grab thug the time has come to dump the non-secure open-top holster with no means to secure the firearm.

Here is a link to help find a holster to fit your firearm https://safariland.com/pages/holster-finder#/

·
Registered
264 Posts
If someone has CCW and does not constantly rearrange their clothing and the firearm is not conspicuous in outline there should be no issue. If a firearm is required immediately, which usually they are the pistol should be easily and without retention lock. Criminals need to know someone is carrying, so dress appropriately and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a perfect reason not to open carry.
No one needs to know what I am doing.
Open Carry or Concealed Carry you need a Holster with some level of security locking retention of your firearm or someone is going to take it from you. If you have a scuffle a retention locking holster could save your life even a pancake thumb break can show down a thug giving you critical time to react.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great topic for us all to learn from. If as i said previously someone carries their weapon in the front, side, rear or other there is little chance of a " criminal targeting them" as they may or may not be carrying. In some states many carry in others it is less frequent. The best defence i found if someone wants to grab your weapon, then first they need to know its location, hence if someone grabs at you the best defence is to swivel on your hip, away from the person, so as the person attempting to take what you have iis off balance and this gives you time to draw and take the appropriate action. The same as someone attempting to steal a ladies handbag, yes they see it but if you are aware you swivel away from the person attempting to take it. It works if you train yourself and it becomes reflex.

·
536 Posts
Great Tip, Voltaire!
"hence if someone grabs at you the best defense is to swivel on your hip, away from the person, so as the person attempting to take what you have is off balance and this gives you time to draw and take the appropriate action. The same as someone attempting to steal a ladies handbag, yes they see it but if you are aware you swivel away from the person attempting to take it. It works if you train yourself and it becomes reflex"

While I respect the opinions of Black Rifle and others and am happy that people wanting secure or retention holsters have them available, I don't think I would ever use one for 3 reasons:

1. Defeating the holster's security is one more thing that has to be done in a situation in which speed is essential and milliseconds matter.

2. While training and muscle memory can certainly help, scientific research and anecdotal evidence agree that when one is full of adrenaline and the fight or flight response is engaged, small or complex muscle movements are more difficult. Simply put, when it's a self-defense situation, defeating a holster security might be difficult to impossible.

3. With many secure or retention holsters, the retention element is in direct line with the trigger, or nearly so. This increases the possibility of depressing a trigger while drawing the firearm.

I took my first of several concealed carry licensing courses in 2000. (Wow, that does not feel like 21 years ago!) The teacher was a retired SWAT officer. He had many memorable sayings. One was this: You don't need a retention holster unless you spend a significant amount of your day hanging upside down like a bat!

Finally, situational awareness is an even more important weapon than a sidearm. I cannot imagine a "thug" getting his hand on my firearm before I did. I the presence of a "thug," my hand would be READY. However, things might be different in a big city where "thugs" are common and people are jammed together like sardines. I avoid such places--in part because such places tend to be run by anti-2A ________________s.
(In your own mind, insert for favorite Terms of Use violating obscenity here)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Great Tip, Voltaire!
"hence if someone grabs at you the best defense is to swivel on your hip, away from the person, so as the person attempting to take what you have is off balance and this gives you time to draw and take the appropriate action. The same as someone attempting to steal a ladies handbag, yes they see it but if you are aware you swivel away from the person attempting to take it. It works if you train yourself and it becomes reflex"

While I respect the opinions of Black Rifle and others and am happy that people wanting secure or retention holsters have them available, I don't think I would ever use one for 3 reasons:

1. Defeating the holster's security is one more thing that has to be done in a situation in which speed is essential and milliseconds matter.

2. While training and muscle memory can certainly help, scientific research and anecdotal evidence agree that when one is full of adrenaline and the fight or flight response is engaged, small or complex muscle movements are more difficult. Simply put, when it's a self-defense situation, defeating a holster security might be difficult to impossible.

3. With many secure or retention holsters, the retention element is in direct line with the trigger, or nearly so. This increases the possibility of depressing a trigger while drawing the firearm.

I took my first of several concealed carry licensing courses in 2000. (Wow, that does not feel like 21 years ago!) The teacher was a retired SWAT officer. He had many memorable sayings. One was this: You don't need a retention holster unless you spend a significant amount of your day hanging upside down like a bat!

Finally, situational awareness is an even more important weapon than a sidearm. I cannot imagine a "thug" getting his hand on my firearm before I did. I the presence of a "thug," my hand would be READY. However, things might be different in a big city where "thugs" are common and people are jammed together like sardines. I avoid such places--in part because such places tend to be run by anti-2A ________________s.
(In your own mind, insert for favorite Terms of Use violating obscenity here)
Outstanding for you, but for me, I will keep the Security Holster as a City Police officer & Sheriffs Deputy for many years after retiring from the US Army where I was taught Krav Maga I have had many perps attempt a weapons Snatch & Grab in both concealed and unconcealed and the security holster saved my firearm from being taken away as well as being well trained in Krav Maga. I had trust in my training and equipment and never accidentally discharged a firearm because the security release mechanism was near the trigger even a thumb break holster gives you time to recover from the attack, but in those 15 years no one has ever been successful at taking my weapon away from me and the security holster is one of the reasons the training is the other. And thank God I never had to use my weapon in any of those cases all though I was prepared to do so if necessary as a last resort. For everyone who lawfully carries in the open or concealed carry, firearm security & retention should be the number one priority.

·
Registered
264 Posts
As a serving police officer it is an absolute requirement to secure the firearm. That goes with the territory. Police chase, ,scuffle and openly fight and retention of equipment is required. As a mere mortal i only ever taught Karate, it has its place and comes in handy when a situation requires. Great to hear of your experiences and we all learn. Open carry is one aspect of carrying a firearms that i do not agree with for civilians, who walk alone in place that are and may well pose a threat. This also holds true for females to venture into areas day or night where a problem may arise. We have areas like that in many countries. All the best to you.

·
536 Posts
I am always so happy when people can express different opinions while respecting one another!

Thank you for your service, Black Rifle.

If I were in the places and situations you have been in, I would use equipment like yours.
However, I'm just an average guy in a rural area who has been carrying for 21 years and prays to never have to draw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If someone has CCW and does not constantly rearrange their clothing and the firearm is not conspicuous in outline there should be no issue. If a firearm is required immediately, which usually they are the pistol should be easily and without retention lock. ....... so dress appropriately and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
NOT TO BE CRITICAL OF THE VICTIMS IN ANY WAY, BUT THESE COMMENTS ARE ALSO WHAT CAME TO MY MIND. I CAN ALSO GET DISTRACTED, BUT DO MY BEST TO ALWAYS BE AWARE OF MY SURROUNDINGS, ESPECIALLY ANYONE WHO IS GETTING CLOSE TO ME OR MY WIFE. IF SOMEONE WANTS TO OPEN CARRY THAT IS THEIR CHOICE, BUT WE DO NOT BECAUSE OF THE UNDESIRED ATTENTION FROM ANY POTENTIAL ATTACKER, THAT IT DRAWS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts