Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only owned the 3" Ronin EMP for two weeks. Shot 3 mags through it and I DO NOT like this pistol. I carried a Colt Stainless Officers model for many years. I got older, thought this would be a smaller lighter version and its NOT!
1. When purchased, I was told it came with 2 mags. Got it home. Called retailer and he gave me the "sorry, I was wrong" approach. I said ok. So I went to Springfield site, bought two more magazines, Kydex IWB holster and dual mag carry pouch.
2. I loaded my one magazine and put three mags through it and found:
a: If you put the full 9 rounds in the mag, its practically impossible to get the mag into the gun.
b: owners manual is pathetic. No sight adjustment instructions.
c. This gun WILL NOT shoot Reman ammo. It will jam in the chamber
d. You can not close the action after the last round has been fired without removing the mag from the gun.
e. It shoots 1 foot low and 1/2 foot left at 10 yards using "the point of aim" as is recommended in the manual and I have used for 50 years.
3. I know a gun can take some break in, but I'm disappointed in this gun. Wish the engineers had shot and handled a Colt.
4. Basement bargain 3" 9mm Ronin for Sale

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had an older 3" EMP in 9mm that was really a beautiful gun. I switched the ambi safety to a single sided and added some VZ grips. It was pretty expensive for that time at $1200 or so, but I found that I just didn't like shooting or carrying it. When I switched to full time Appendix carry, I just made the decision to be done with it and got 2 P365s with slightly better mag capacity. I still don't really like a striker fired aiming at my balls all day, but I like it better than a cocked and locked 1911 with a manual safety aiming there.
Since then, I now carry the P365s in my pocket when I have shorts on in an Alabama Kydex holster, and I carry a CZ P-01 when appendix carrying. I really feel better about the heavy DA 1st pull aiming at my nads all day.

Back to the EMP, I now have a Dan Wesson ECO in 45 ACP at about the same size as the EMP, but I just like a 1911 in 45. The EMP's proprietary magazines, round capacity, and its desire to jump around with it's snappy recoil made its life in my possession short lived. ***If Springer made a double stack EMP in 9mm, I would be all over that - Think Staccato C2!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reply to Unclebob:
With exception to the 1 mag mix up from the retailer, all of my other complaints are ( I will call) defects to me. I do not fault RIA for the magazine issue and I don't think they are design defects. They are just things that differ from other pistols at its price and I don't like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
take a look at the Rock Island Armory RIA BBR 3.10 ( its FAT 45 cal. little beastie) For me I'll stay with my EMP
View attachment 2676 Rock
Right. I've seen those and have come close to picking up a similar Para Warthog, but they are FAT! I might as well carry a Glock 30. I was thinking the EMP in 9mm would be a great platform to compete with the Staccato C2 since they have proprietary mags anyway. I would love to see a 2011 EMP at a better price point than the Staccato. They can still keep the 9mm double stack grips very thin for carrying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a: If you put the full 9 rounds in the mag, its practically impossible to get the mag into the gun.
I have/had this exact same issue. I sent my gun in to SA about three weeks ago, I just got an email from them today that it will be here Thursday. They did a decent amount of work to it, I have it in another post. As far as being off aim wise, I've not really experienced that, I've always found it to be pretty spot on. I also want to say I can drop the slide with an empty mag in it but not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far, my EMP Ronin has run flawlessly ...with HST 124GR., HST 147 GR., 124 NATO WINCHESTER, HORNADY +P CRITICAL DUTY, WINCHESTER 115GR. BALL and a few others. No problem getting complete load into mags. No failure to feeds. First few rounds wouldn't lock back the slide but after 20 rounds, no problem. I have a couple hundred rounds through the gun...ZERO failures to feed. I did run the gun very wet with Wilson Universal , for the first 100 rounds. Now, I am testing some light body greases to see if it will run with light grease as lube (stays in place better). Next range trip I will know that answer. Light grease would be for warm summer only though. So far, very pleased with the model.. The trigger on mine could be a bit lighter but I am used to lighter triggers so....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this thread is long dead to the OP, since he has never been back, but here's some info. I reload for a 3" EMP Ronin my daughter carries. I have a 3" EMP previously and currently have a 4" EMP Champion. All of them have "tight" chambers and like SAMMI spec ammo. While reman ammo is fine in most cases, with these guns if it's a little out of spec it won't run. If the reman ammo fits in a standard SAMMI spec head space gauge (a reloader's measurement tool) and its length is correct, the ammo should run. I load both practice and defensive ammo for them to SAMMI spec, and it runs in them with no issue.

I have cases that have been load 5 times and run with no issue. If the chamber is too tight, Springfield will ream it so it will the gun will run about anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sleddog30
Seems to be the case with my 4" version...all normal SAAMI spec runs.. So far I haven't found anything spec. that won't run and I have tested quite a bit of ammo brands and types, so I am happy with the chamber just they way it is. I had read they will open up the chamber if you have problems but, I would rather not where everything has run well. I guess if I was slogging in the dirt, sand and generally bad climate it might be something to consider but....if I was doing that, I wouldn't be carrying the Ronin anyway...Plenty others I have for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts