Howdy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JSMosby, Jun 24, 2015.

1. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

Hello from the sunny south. New here and a confirmed 1911 lover. Do y'all allow any 9mm types on here?

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Mosby. Yeah we have some 9mm fans on here,but we also have some against them. By the way,we love pictures.:D

3. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

Thank you for the welcome! I'm still trying to get over the Yankee government replacing the 1911 with a dang 9mm, but I won't hold personal preference against anybody.

4. squirrelhunter

Personally I think the 40 cal. would be a better option than the 9mm,but yeah don't understand them sometimes. Well make that very often ;).

5. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

6. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

By your name, am I safe in assuming that you do hunt squirrels? I ask because I enjoy the same challenge.

7. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

Thank you kindly Pokute!

8. squirrelhunter

Yeah I hunt squirrels along with deer,coyotes,rabbit and have hunted ground hogs,coon,pheasant and quail back when I was younger.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Springfield Forum JSMosby !!

Are you related to the " Grey Ghost " per chance....!?

10. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

No sir, not related. One of my forebears rode with Col. Mosby.

11. SHOOTER13

[​IMG]

Mosby's Rangers-Top row (left to right): Lee Herverson, Ben Palmer, John Puryear, Tom Booker, Norman Randolph, Frank Raham.

# Second row: Robert Blanks Parrott, John Troop, John W. Munson, John S. Mosby, Newell, Neely, Quarles.

# Third row: Walter Gosden, Harry T. Sinnott, Butler, Gentry

12. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

A gallant group. Thank you for posting the photograph.

13. SHOOTER13

Not a problem...I'm a Civil War buff.

Been to most of the battle fields...monuments...historic landmarks...re-enactments...Arlington National Cemetery

14. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

My family knows it as the War of Northern Aggresion. According to what's been passed down through generations is that my ancestor was badly wounded in Northern Virginia in an engagement with Federal cavalry in 1864. He died of his wounds at home almost a year to the day later.

15. SHOOTER13

Yea...the War of Northern Aggression.

Heard that more than a few times visiting spots of interest down south...

16. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

SHOOTER13, you might find this interesting. There were two heirlooms passed down from 1864 by my Confederate ancestor. One was a pocket watch supposedly taken from a Federal soldier, the other is a Colts 1860 Army .44 revolver. The watch was gold and was sold during the Great Depression. The revolver is now owned by my Uncle. He will pass it down to me. It still has two original loads in the cylinder. I call that priceless!

Y

17. SHOOTER13

Yes sir...that would fall under " priceless "...!!

As you know...the Colt Model 1860 is a 6 shot muzzle loaded cap and ball percussion revolver chambered in .44 produced between 1860 and 1873 with over 200,000+ pistols manufactured in that time frame.

[​IMG]

By April 1861, 2,230 of Colt's earliest production went to dealers south of the Mason-Dixon line. The US Navy ordered 900 fluted cylinder revolvers in May 1861 later issued to ships enforcing the Atlantic and Gulf blockade.

The US Army also ordered in May, 1861 and 127,157 units had been delivered... before a fire on October 5th, 1864 put Colt's factory out of operation for the duration of hostilities.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  18. squirrelhunter

Since you're a civil war buff,what was the MAIN reason of the war,slavery or something else?? One of my step sons keeps arguing that slavery wasn't the main reason, that the main reason was taxes.

19. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Yeah, Texas sounds reasonable... Oh. Never mind.

20. SHOOTER13

States Rights ... in regards to the protection of slavery in the South's expansion into the Western Territories was the primary catalyst of the Civil War...arguments which began under then President Buchanan.

When Northern anti-slavery political forces rose up to block it...Declarations of Secession ( secondary catalyst ) greeted president elect Abraham Lincoln ...who had just won the 1860 election... even though he was not on the ballot in ten of the Southern states.

When seven of those ten states... whose economies were all based on cotton seceded...the Confederate States of America were formed... before Lincoln even took office.

Nationalists ( in the North and "Unionists" in the South ) refused to recognize the secessions. The U.S. government refused to relinquish it's forts that were in territory claimed by the Confederacy.

Taxes paid on foreign goods called Tariffs ( third catalyst ) was also an issue. Southerners believed that these tariffs were unfair and aimed toward them because they imported a wider variety of goods compared to the North's imports.

Taxes were also levied on many Southern exports...an expense that was not always applied to Northern goods of equal value; an awkward economic structure allowed states and private transportation companies to accomplish this. Consequently, this affected Southern banks because they found themselves paying higher interest rates on loans made with banks in the North.

The situation grew worse after several "panics", including one in 1857 that affected more Northern banks than Southern banks. Southern financiers found themselves burdened with high payments just to save Northern banks that had suffered financial losses through poor investments.

War began on April 12, 1861 when Confederate forces bombarded Fort Sumter, a major U.S. fortress in the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015