Howdy from Oklahoma!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Balota, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi all! Balota here, from Glenpool, Oklahoma. Also from FirearmsTalk Forum. Winds invited me.

I shoot IDPA, currently Marksman in 4 divisions. As soon as I can get 100 rounds of 357mag, I'm going to try to make 5 gun Marksman!

I carry XDm 9mm Compact daily. I also have XDm 5.25 Competition Series 45ACP, which I use for the IDPA Classifier. That run gets me all 3 of the pistol classifications.

For revolver, I have a S&W 686 in 357mag/38spl. I have not modified it for moon clips, so when I try for ESR, I'll be running with speedloaders. But I'm so slow anyway, that the speed penalty is negligible. :rolleyes::D

2. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporter

Welcome to the forum !

Glad to have you aboard :)

3. Winds

Winds Supporting Member Supporter

WELCOME!!!

I figured you were the "XDm guy" and you should come contribute to this forum. I'm glad you're here.

Hey, everybody......Balota is my very best friend in the whole world. :D

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum partner,I hope you enjoy your stay .

5. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

Glad to have ya here!

6. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Supporter

Welcome Balota. Love the 686...

7. Balota

I'd love my 686 a lot better if the spring didn't weigh 16-20 lb. The spring is crazy heavy. And at the point where the cylinder locks in place, the trigger hits a ledge. Takes another 4 lb to clear the ledge with no apparent trigger movement until it snaps. I'm thinking of returning it to S&W to see if they'll fix it. I think it's too heavy for spec, but they know their specs pretty well. If it's really "in spec", then I'll pay for the trigger job to get it down to a dull roar, maybe 10-13 lb. Be really nice if the ledge at the end was smaller.

8. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Supporter

I'm betting S&W can getcha fixed up...

9. Winds

Winds Supporting Member Supporter

I've shot this revolver and the trigger pull is a BEAST!! I don't think it's right. It's way heavier than the trigger on my GP 100.

10. Balota

Just for kicks, I tried to measure the pull weight. I made a loop of jump cord (negligible weight). I wrapped it around one end of a 15 lb dumbell. If I lift slowly and carefully, I can lift it off the ground without snapping the trigger. I added 2.5 lb to the dumbell (smallest increment I have handy). At 17.5 lb the trigger snaps every time. Not a high precision measurement, but the pull weight is between those weights.

I have a request in to Smith and Wesson to see if they'll let me return it under warranty. If not, I'll pay for the trigger job to reduce pull to about 13 lb.

11. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any friend of Winds is a friend of ours. Welcome

12. Jbardellini

Jbardellini Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.