Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Sunday, I took a 2 hour home defense shotgun course with my new 12 gauge Mossberg 500. The instructor had me engage multiple targets at ranges between 4 and 20 yards. He had me shoot 75 rounds of 3 dram eq. I expected significant shoulder soreness but since it’s now Thursday, it appears that the shock pad on the Mossberg did a fantastic job. Pushing out slightly with the
non-trigger hand may also have helped.

The instructor recommends # 7.5 or # 8 BIRD shot for home defense. There’s an ongoing debate about the efficacy of birdshot for home defense, but I’m confident that inside of 15 yards, birdshot will suffice and will do so without seriously endangering others in the house or beyond. That being the case, I have 4 rounds of # 7.5 Bird in the mag tube. The sidesaddle has 3 more rounds of # 7.5 Bird, plus 3 rounds of #4 Buck (just in case).

I’d be interested in what the forum community thinks about that setup. For the past 30 years or so I’ve used pistols (.45 or 9 mm) as nightstand guns, and I am new to home defense shotguns.

I did learn something that might be helpful even to people who have no neighbors and who feel comfortable unleashing 00 Buck in their the home: Carpet protection compounds that make carpets stain resistant can corrode the finish on a gun. Consequently, the instructor said that if you keep your shotgun under your bed, and you have stain resistant carpet, it’s wise to keep your gun on a towel, rather than directly on the carpet. I thought that was a tip worth sharing.

Another tip I found useful was keeping the muzzle pointed upward (at about a 30 degree angle), rather than downward, when moving through the home. Moving into a shooting stance seemed faster and more natural from a muzzle pointed up position.

·
115 Posts
Good tips to know. Thanks RevV. My 500 is always loaded and at the ready. Hope I never have to use it, but these days, who knows.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
3,606 Posts
I've seen first hand proof that bird shot is all you need in a defensive situation...especially in the confines of most homes and within the relative distances of those encounters.

It will drop the perp without the over penetration that most handgun and carbine rounds perform when they encounter the common types of building materials, which must be a consideration in an adversarial confrontation.

It is also wise to train with what you are going to fight with...

Well Done Rev !!

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Threetango, thanks a lot for posting those 2 videos. I had seen the gunblast one. It seems safe to say that in most home situations, unless one lives in a huge house--birdshot is sufficient.

I'd say it's also much safer, if you have loved ones' quarters behind the area where one is most likely to encounter a perp. Even after passing through a human and an interior wall, 00 buck poses a danger to people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts