holster for XD 3" compact

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by RichT, Jul 20, 2015.

1. RichT

RichT New Member

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times, but I couldn't find the proper thread, so forgive me if I'm being stupid or something.

Got my new XD 3" compact, and now that I've been to the range with it a couple of times, I'm really beginning to like it. Assuming that infatuation continues, and I decide to carry it concealed, can you guys who have them give me suggestions for an EDC holster?? I think I prefer owb, as I want to carry it at the 4 o'clock position, and IWB is really uncomfortable for me there when sitting. However, I'm open to any and all suggestions. With all the holsters I currently have, IWB, OWB, shoulder, and even open carry belt holsters, can you believe not a one of them fits this gun?? All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,

2. Willieboy

Willieboy Angry Old White Guy

I can highly recommend the work of Garrett Industries. The pictured holsters are for my Kahr PM9 and Glock 26. However, I have one of these holsters for all of my guns. Garrett calls these his Silent Thunder holsters because they are lined with leather and allow for a silent draw. The leather is easy on gun finishes too.

Today I received my first outside the waistband holster from Garrett Industries. It has the same Kydex and leather format. Like the pictured holsters, the cant is adjustable. Following the pictures, I posted a link to this new holster.

[​IMG]

http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-stx-2-0/

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I can't tell... Is the Kydex laminated to the leather? I don't see a seam.

4. Willieboy

The leather has been glued to the Kydex. Whatever process the maker uses, it works. I've been using these holsters for five or six years and there has been no separation of the leather from the Kydex.

Yesterday, I received two of these holsters for my RO Compact and they really are beautifully done.

5. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

They do look really nice, but what purpose does the Kydex serve if there's a full leather holster already? I'm guessing that the Kydex keeps it from loosening up over time, but it's just a guess.

6. Willieboy

Well, the leather lining is no where thick enough to be a holster. I think the leather is there to ease wear on the gun finish and for those who want a sneaky draw, it is quiet. The gun just nestles nicely into the leather. No rattles and no squeaks. For me, the Kydex is better suited for Houston's steamy weather and resultant sweat.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  7. RichT

RichT New Member

Thanks, they look nice, I'll check them out.

8. dondavis3

dondavis3 dondavis3

9. seeedgar

seeedgar New Member

Garrett Silent Thunder Classic

Anybody here have any experience with the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Classic holster???

10. Willieboy

I'm not familiar with the Classic and didn't see it on the GI website.