Help me choose...

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1A Rifle' started by tcoz, Jun 26, 2016.

1. tcoz

tcoz New Member

Hi guys, this is my first post. I currently have a CMP M1, a CMP M1 carbine, and am negotiating on a CMP '03A3. I've spent a lot of years lusting after an M1A and I'm finally in a position to buy one so I'm asking for reasons you think I should buy either a Standard with walnut or a Scout with walnut. I'm a traditionalist so naturally I lean toward the Standard but I really like the looks of the Scout and I've read a few people who have a Standard saying that they'd go with a Scout if they had it all to do over.
    I'll be using it for punching holes in paper and some steel target shooting.
    What I'm looking for isn't so much your recommendation but more of why you bought whichever of the two that you own.
    I'm only interested in these two models so please respond only if you own one of them.
    Thanks in advance.

2. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

Punchin holes . . . . to what distance? >200 . .go long
    Steel targets . . . . . <100 . . go short

doing both? cover both bases . . . .go long

3. tcoz

tcoz New Member

Unfortunately my range is only 100 yards for both paper and steel.

4. DarthDad71

DarthDad71 New Member

I am also shopping for an M1a, but besides the standard and scout I'm also interested in the SOCOM. In regards to the scout and standard, I like the rail on the scout which gives more options to mount a scope or sight. I also like the larger iron sights on the scout over the standard.

5. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

I love my M1A SOCOM. It has done everything I expected with M14 reliability and accuracy.

Attached Files:

• M1A.jpg
      M1A.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views: