Hello All! Newbie here.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mike0010, Apr 1, 2015.

1. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Just signed up and saying hello. Hoping to learn from old hands, new hands and anyone who knows (or doesn't know) :)

Glad to be here.

:)

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Welcome to the forum!

3. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome Mike!

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard,enjoy,teach and learn :D.

5. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Howdy! Hopefully you won't develop any bad habits from those of us who don't know... :)

6. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

Mornin' all, and thank you for the warm welcome!

I have a SA Range Officer in 9mm matte, with what looks like a ramped target barrel, lightened aluminium, adjustable trigger, rear sights adjustable for windage and elevation, which I like very much, but I am planning on sending it to SA for a fitted 38 Super barrel, since I really like that round.

Also have a SA Omega long-slide in 10mm, and read everything I can find on this excellent 1911 variant. I found Pokute's write up from late last year very informative and helpful!

Looking forward to learning from the collective wisdom in here!

Thank You
    :)

7. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

pokute,

thanks for the warning :) and duly noted for the record. Everything I have read up to now hollers that yes, SAAMI rules! I am just now getting my toes into those waters, so I will read everything, and I mean everything, then measure twice and cut once :)

mike

8. pokute

Actually, I use that as my signature so that when I tell you to do something that results in you losing most of your fingers and one or both of your eyes I won't feel guilty ;)

9. jflytle

jflytle New Member

Welcome from Northern Illinois.

10. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Hi Pokute,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't your avatar that of the guy in that Rifleman series - the guy talks kind of southern, but has a wicked draw and shoots real straight?

11. pokute

Hi Mike,

Nope. It's Festus Haggen (Ken Curtis) from Gunsmoke.

I don't recall any regular on The Rifleman who was anything
    like Festus, but Hopalong Cassidy had a regular, California
    Carlson (Andy Clyde), who was almost certainly a
    model for Festus. California Carlson was always getting into
    some kind of trouble, but when he actually started shooting,
    he turned out to be a dead-eye shot.

The original for the character type was the great Gabby Hayes,
    who was also Hopalong's original sidekick. Gabby was, without
    question, the best of the lot.

I met Ken Curtis once when I was a kid, so he's my avatar.

12. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Hi pokute,

You're right - I remember that now - Festus was greased lightning as well and deadly accurate; I recall an epsiode where there some issue and after a casual demonstration on a target, the problem guys miraculously became very amiable. I liked his character a lot - unassuming, but very very effective when it came down to brass tacks!

I have a question about the Omega - how did you decide that your spring was the right length - I read your write-up about changing spring weights, etc., and I want to put a new spring into my Omega, but it is a long-slide and I don't have a clue. I am thinking of getting a Wolfs spring, but need to do more research.

thanks
    Mike

13. pokute

I did a bit of experimenting. In fact, I'm going to go up a couple of turns on the spring since it seems to be relaxing quite a bit after 600 hell-bent loads. The gun doesn't throw the brass far, but that could be due to the dual Omega extractors.

With a longslide I'd go for the heaviest Gov't length recoil spring I could find. I'd also get the strongest mainspring I could find. The longslide was the base gun with the Omega. The 5 inch uses a Commander length spring. Note that the Omega slide is heavier than a 1911 slide, so it moves more slowly, and has no good place to stick a buffer, so it's better to start out with a little too much spring.

14. pokute

Found it:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1-aI6tmMdY[/ame]

15. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

16. pokute

Yep. I grew up on it too!

17. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Hi pokute,
    Thank you for that suggestion. I know one of the downsides with heavier recoil springs, as you pointed out in your write-up from '14, was having to rassle with the pistol to re-assemble it, and I believe that after taking mine apart. Are you aware of any others? Also, does this springing apply to the V-16 45 Super as well?

Thanks
    Mike

18. pokute

A heavy spring means a more rapid return to battery. Since the Omega locking lug is a massive wedge, if the wedging surfaces are properly fitted for maximum engagement, no battering should occur. If a small amount of battering does occur, a small amount of stoning will not only stop the battering, but improve the repeatability of the lockup.

I will be manufacturing replacement Omega recoil assemblies in small numbers by the end of the year. I will make whatever small changes I can to the design in the interest of reliability.

Hmm... I've never seen a V-16 45 Super. I'd certainly love to have one! If the V-16 has a normal 1911 style guide rod, I'd not only go with the heavy springs, but I'd probably try running two Shok-Bufs as well. If the slide will still lock back with two, then I'd run with two. Definitely with one if not. Shok-Bufs are a big win.

I'm considering getting a 460 Rowland kit ;)

19. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Thank you for the info on the Omega. Will you by any chance also be manufacturing the guide rods that are subject to breakage? I am sure there is a market for them, from what I have read around the 'net!!!

Also, while these are not the .45 Super, there are a couple of V-16 .45 longslides available on Gunbroker right now, and one V-10, but are a bit pricey. I will try and post pictures soon - there was some sort of problem with this site about a week back and I was unable to access/log in.

20. pokute

I will eventually be getting around to making the guide rods. We have some ideas for minor changes that will make them somewhat less prone to fracture. At the same time, I'm making my own 10mm top-end for a 1911 using a Caspian slide. But most of my time is taken up tuning a bunch of guns that I'm selling.

I've learned from painful experience to buy NOTHING on Gunbroker. I restrict my pig-in-a-poke buying to three scrupulously honest sources for big ticket items: LSB Auctions, JackTheDog, and Sandi Smallwood. I will buy smaller items from GunAuction sellers with sterling feedback. The way to spot a bad faith dealer is by reading their responses to negative feedback - Name calling, even with the worst deadbeat, is a warning sign. Also, if you see something that looks too good to be true, and nobody else is bidding on it, there is a reason.

I recommend you make no transaction on Gunbroker that you would not make with an unknown private seller.