Hello All- 1911/Springfield Newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FartingBear, Jul 4, 2016.

1. FartingBear

FartingBear New Member

Hey all, I'm in Southern Oregon, and just purchased my first 1911, a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer in .45ACP, and I'm very exited. I don't have it in my hands until Wednesday or Thursday as I ordered it online and am getting it through my local FFL. I've been shooting guns since I was child, and tinkering with them too. I eventually got a 2 year Gunsmith's Certificate; I don't consider myself a gunsmith out of respect for those who actually create firearms, whereas I'm really a good gun 'mechanic' with some formal training and more importantly, decades of experience.
    Any way, my inclination is to mod the RO, as I do most guns, but as I researched the gun and common up grades, it comes with a lot out of the box, as well as performs out of the box by all accounts. So I'm going to get to know it and build proficiency with it as is.
    One immediate question is holsters. I'm a ccw permit holder, and already carry a full-size pistol. I use a Galco FLETCH high ride, which is really quite comfortable. I'm poised to get the same holster for the RO. Anyone have any critical advice as to why this holster has or hasn't worked for their 1911? Does anyone have a Galco Combat Master holster, which is similar but open top (adequate tension for retention, fit, etc.)?
    Any sleeper makes of 1911 holsters for OWB carry that anyone might suggest?
    Thanks y'all and I look forward to learning from you!
    Farting Bear

P.S. I'm a stickler for accuracy and therefore barrel break in; I'll likely shoot then clean x20; anyone know of something specific to consider breaking in the new barrel?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  2. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

Welcome Citizen . . .

3. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Supporter

Welcome FartingBear

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Springfield family. :D

5. DudeLove

DudeLove Member

Welcome, enjoy.

6. sigtac

sigtac New Member

Welcome from SE VA. . . . :)

7. FartingBear

FartingBear New Member

Thanks all. Just picked the pistol today, and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm going to clean/degrease it and treat with Militec, (heat cured dry lube) which I've used for years and really like. I've read the 1911 doesn't like to be over oil or prefers light oil, so I think this will be beneficial. One thing is odd (to me) there is no ILS installed on this pistol, no keys, no hole in the mainspring housing other than the take down pin hole. I was under the impression that all post 2000 models had this feature (I'm not complaining, mind you). Is this an anomaly or is it no longer a standard feature?

8. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Howdy from Austin, Texas!

9. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Springfield Forum.