Springfield Armory Forums banner

Hellcat question from new owner

9K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Black Rifle Reviews 
#1 ·
Just got on the forum, traded into a Hellcat this week and love it! The only thing I would change is the rear sight. Love the arc, but would also like it to be a night sight. Anyone find a replacement for it yet? Might be too new for that just yet, couldn't find one in a search.

#2 ·
It might be too new. Not sure. I did a quick search and didn't find any.

For what it's worth, and this is just one person's opinion, the Hellcat is a defensive weapon, and as such, practicing threat focus (looking at the target and not using the sights at all) seems most relevant, followed by front sight focus. A bright rear sight might be counterproductive.

#3 ·
Yeah, thought about the too new aspect, but was curious to see if anyone had found one. When it's very dark, lining up the sights correctly can mean life or death. Knowing the only time I will be using the sights at night will be at home and having done a good bit of training with both front and rear sights visible on my pistols before this one, I am used to having both visible. Counterproductive would be to completely switch to a dark rear sight situation.

#8 ·
Night Fission
Link is below.

#16 ·
Night Sights are not made to shoot in the dark at targets you cant see they are made for quick acquisition in low light where you have a hard time picking up a good sight picture. When point shooting front sight focus is key not the rear sight that's why the U shape rear sight of the Hellcat is not illuminated it's only outlined.

Reactions: SJ 40
#12 · (Edited)
I never had a problem with the Springfield Hell Cat's sights it was one of the selling features that made me buy it, I have since installed the SwampFox Sentinel Green Dot optic on it. You might try a set of XS BIG DOT tritium sights. I have them on both my Springfield Armory XDM OSP 9MM 4.5", XDM OSP ELITE 9MM & My XD .45 Tactical 5.25 "
These are the XS sights I recommend in the Links below. Good Luck to you have fun shooting the Springfield Hell Cat.

DXT Big Dot Night Sights - Springfield

DXT2 Standard Dot Night Sights - Springfield Armory

F8 Night Sights - Springfield Armory

R3D Night Sights - Springfield Armory

#14 ·
Did you ever replace the sights on your Hell Cat post an update, what did you come up with? Post a photo of your Springfield Armory Hell Cat. I now have more than 1000 rounds fired without a Jamb, Malfunction,or Failure to fire. Accuracy is very good at 25 meters on 6" steel plates at 25 meters.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

#17 ·
OK...where to start....

1. I traded the OSP for a non OSP model, bought Night Fision night sights for it. Perfect. Thanks, MikeFD
2. Not even going to dignify that 'see' question....where TF did that come from?
3. NO flashlights...not a good idea, gives away your position instantly.
4. It's not 100% dark in my house at night [so it's very low light all the time], I have offset lighting in other rooms [like the bathroom]. Like i said, critical to line up sights and let's say you just wake up...easier to line them up when they glow than when they don't. Plus, like I said, I didn't like the semi circle at all.

JeezLoweez...lotsa micromanaging

SGT1577...let me know if you want the stock sights and we'll figure something out.

#18 ·
OK...where to start....

1. I traded the OSP for a non OSP model, bought Night Fision night sights for it. Perfect. Thanks, MikeFD
2. Not even going to dignify that 'see' question....where TF did that come from?
3. NO flashlights...not a good idea, gives away your position instantly.
4. It's not 100% dark in my house at night [so it's very low light all the time], I have offset lighting in other rooms [like the bathroom]. Like i said, critical to line up sights and let's say you just wake up...easier to line them up when they glow than when they don't. Plus, like I said, I didn't like the semi circle at all.

JeezLoweez...lotsa micromanaging

SGT1577...let me know if you want the stock sights and we'll figure something out.
I too want Night Fishion sights on my Hellcat,do you have the product number you used on yours as I can't seem to find it listed,Thanks in advance.

#23 ·
Thank You very much Sir,I've looked at their listing and called of and on for the past couple of months, they make a great product but are lousy at answering their phone and or returning calls.
What with such a great product one would think they would want to sell it and offer better customer service.
I take it that is the number for the yellow/green front sight,nothing shows up as well in low light like their sights,Thanks again.

#27 ·
I prefer the factory sights of my Hell Cat OSP but if I were to own the non-osp version Hellcat I would go with XS -Sights R3D Night Sights for the HellCat non-osp version.
See Your Sights in any Light!
R3D Night Sights feature traditional 3-dot tritium, notch, and post, sight pictures. The tritium front sight comes equipped with our proprietary photoluminescent orange or green Glow Dot, which absorbs ambient light and glows in low light. The 2-dot tritium blacked-out rear illuminates, giving proper sight alignment while not outshining the front sight for accurate indexing. Our design increases focus on the front sight by using a brighter tritium vial in the front and using the tritium's light to charge the Glow Dot slightly. This slight difference makes the front sight glow more brightly than the two tritium vials in the rear, keeping your focus downrange.
XS R3D Tritium Night Sights are excellent notch and post sight pictures that will keep your front sight visible day or night. That way, you'll be ready for the fight, no matter the light.
R3D sights are CNC machined from solid steel bar stock by our in-house machine shop. We design, machine, and insert tritium to produce the highest quality possible and provide American Made products. We are a small, second-generation family-owned business based in Fort Worth, TX, and our customers are family.
We live, eat, and breathe guns. We offer easy DIY install instructions, a 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee, and stand behind a 10-Year No Questions Asked Warranty on all our sights. If you break your sight training, we want to hear about it. If you damage your sight installing it, give us a call, and we will get a new one mailed out after a friendly lecture from one of our gunsmiths. If you have color vision issues and can't see the front dot, call us, and we will get another color shipped out. (Over 5% of the population has color blindness to a degree!) Either way, our products are built to take a beating, and we will have your back if anything happens.
  • Tritium powered front and rear sight
  • High-contrast colored front sight
  • Glow dot absorbs ambient light and glows in low light
  • Rear sight overhang reduces glare
  • Anti-reflective rear tritium lens
  • Rear sight ledge for one-handed slide manipulations
  • Durable CNC machined steel
  • 10 Year Warranty
  • 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee
  • Fits standard holster options
  • Springfield XD, XD-M (not adjustable rear), XD-S, XD-S MOD.2, XD-E, HellCat (WILL NOT work on the OSP Hellcat)
I have these sights on one of my Springfield XD 4" full-size 9mm Duty Pistols. My choice was the orange outline

Then I have two XDM 4.5" 9mm pistols with XS Big Dot sights and one XD .45 5.25 " Tactical with XS Big Dot Sights they are great.

Handgun Sights

Give the XS BIG DOTS a try you will not regret it.

#28 ·
Swampfox partnered with the night sight experts, Night Fision, to create optimized tritium night sights for the Springfield Armory Hell Cat 9mm to function with the Swampfox Dot optic.

When dot sight optics and iron sights combine on the same pistol slide, achieving the perfect co-witness is a harrowing task. To take the guesswork out of the equation, Swampfox partnered with the night sight experts, Night Fision, to create optimized tritium night sights our way. Wolverine Night Sights come with a yellow-sleeved tritium front sight for maximum visibility, day or night. Rear sights are black and fully serrated, avoiding an overly complex and distracting sight picture when using your dot sight.
Due to overwhelming demand, we configured this model just for the Springfield Hellcat. This Swampfox fan-favorite pistol deserves the perfect iron sights underneath our Sentinel dot sight. We did the math to achieve that lower 1/3 sweet spot co-witness, so you can put away the dial calipers and calculator. I don't use the Ironside protective guard with my Swampfox Sentinel so I don't have a problem with the co-witness of the factory sight that comes on the Springfield Armory Hell Cat 9mm Pistol.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/wolverine-night-sights-hellcat

#30 ·
SJ40 I think you will like these, I love my Swampfox Sentinel Green Dot on my Springfield Armory Hell Cat 9mm I do not use the protective guard cover so it worked with the factory sights, I am happy I could help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.