Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
$45 + shipping best I could find

There may be more compatible sights as I think Sig and SA sights use similar grooves.

I am pondering a rear sight replacement.

Otherwise best I think is fluorescent paint that will not glow very long unless you leave gun out to absorb light. Unless it has tritium, glow in the dark paint needs time in sun or ambient light and probably won’t be bright deep into the night/early morning. So where would you store gun to absorb light?

@Shadrac you are looking in daytime. Look at that at night with no lights on. U rears are useless in the dark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For the Hellcat Pro OSP, I would like to know if the new XS R3D sight set for Hellcats will fit the Pro OSP. That would solve my night sight problem completely. They are listed as fitting the Hellcat OSP so I am thinking they should work ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Pro I would think Hellcat & Pro take exact same sights. But, the XS R3D are only sold in front/rear sets AFAIK and I already listed a cheaper rear only tritium sight. They have several options in case you want short/medium/tall sights.

Anyone looking to apply glow in dark paint needs to understand what makes it glow. Unless U have radioactive paint that self produces light, all “glow in dark” paint needs to sit in light to absorb energy to then glow when light is gone. I have not seen any G.I.D. paint that lasts through out night without being charged all day which means gun is sitting out in direct light to charge. So unless u leave gun out on nightstand (or whatever) it will never charge enough to last a useful length of time. I’m talking 3-4 am bump in the night stuff. If all U want is a couple of minutes of glow then try the paint.

From Truglo.com: Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. It gradually breaks down and decays into helium. As it decays, a small about of energy is given off. The tritium vials found in gun “night sights” and wrist watches contain a small amount of tritium gas and phosphorus or other photo-sensitive materials. As the tritium breaks down and gives off energy. This energy (ionizing radiation) excites the phosphorus and causes it to glow. This creates a constant and steady glow for years.

The rated half life of tritium is approximately 12 years. This means that after twelve years, handgun sights will be approximately half as bright are when there were first sent to the dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Charlie Brave It looks like by the specs that the Ameriglo sights are only available for the non OSP models. The pictures look right, but their listed specs show a schematic with a overhang in the front, which the picture doesn't show but which would make it unusable for the OSP models. I have the Pro OSP model. Thanks though for the information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry about 2nd post, app I am using goofed up.

but I do think the ameriglo options will work on HCPro for REAR sights. OEM REAR sights actually have a very small front overhang and the ameriglo have 0 front overhang for REAR sights. I am not interested in replacing Front sight as it is already a night sight, saving money in purchase and gunsmithing.

Ok I see what might be a concern: that only SA-418 are listed as Pro compatible. I have emailed Ameriglo for further assistance. Hopefully in a few days I will hear back. Will post here when that happens.

Here is a focused pic of my Riton RD installed Pro rear sight. At least with Riton MPRD2, there looks to be lots of room for a slight front overhang.
Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Air gun Metal

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a interesting problem (hair puller) Looking at the Hellcat Pro OSP receiver from above, it has a interesting shape..not straight across rather,,,it extends further to the rear in the center than on the outside edges. I think it's designed to help center everything up or some such. But it does come very close to the factory sight in the center area. In your picture it looks straight across which is different than on the top of my Pro OSP.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had to file some of the polymer away on the SIG Romeo Zero in order to see the front sights picture how I wanted
I lowered the set screw down as far as possible & the filed the rear sight to a U Notch & then raised it back till the red dot aligned with the front sight
Like what this did for the sight picture, Paid $85 Shipped for the SIG RZ red dot BTW
Purple Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have to be one hell of an artist to paint a perfect U over the white paint with fluorescent paint. It would be sick if there was a U shaped tritium rear sight replacement for the Hellcat.

Or a way to drill holes on the top sides of the U and glue in tritium rods so you have regular night sights, and still have the U shape for daytime shooting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting idea to glue in tritium rods.. Seems there is one company that can send sights off to have rods installed... Dawson Precision I believe. I will have to call them. they are a very good company.... I would seriously like to have rods installed in the factory rear sight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The way to fill in the U Knoch is to apply the fluorescent paint & then wipe away the extra with a cloth wet with acetone
I did this on a Colt 1911 25-30 years ago, filled in the dots & wiped the excess away, worked 100%

1 - 20 of 20 Posts