Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as tough as it is to get a decent optic for the Hellcat OSP, it seems the only reliable choices are the 407k/507k or an RMRcc which aren't compatible.

Yes, I know the Shield RMSc is probably the best natively compatible choice but it's just so boring and outdated for the price it costs and no green dot option. All the other sub $200 polymer optics are okay but what about those who want something a bit better and more reliable that actually has audible clicks when you adjust windage/elevation?

I just returned my Crimson Trace CT Rad Micro Pro because the damn thing's auto brightness ramps the brightness down way too dark at night to the point where the green dot wasn't even visible while standing in a dark room. Otherwise it was great optic for the price. Others on the Amazon reviews mentioned this issue as well.

I didn't want to have to use an adapter plate to mount a 507k but it seems like that's the only feasible choice now. I don't want to have to have the slide milled either. Has anyone used any of these?

Can you still co-witness your iron sights with it even a little bit if the optic battery dies? Any problems holding zero? Do the included screws work out of the box? No screw trimming required?

If you've put this optic on your Hellcat using that adapter plate, share a pic or 2 please!

UPDATE:

I went with the Calculated Kinetics one. (Thumbs down.)

The DPP one on Amazon is popular, but I was scared off by some of the reviews claiming that it didn't sit flat and the fact that it appears to be made overseas. The C&H one is just a bit too expensive. Unfortunately, the USA made Calculated Kinetics one has the same issues. I have came to the conclusion that if you want any comfortably useable iron sight cowitness, you either have to get a different optic, mill/grind your slide to make the 407k/507k sit flush on the slide directly, or upgrade to taller sights (which nobody wants to do on a XD/Hellcat slide).

As far as thickness dimensions between the plates:
-C&H doesn't provide a thickness specification for their plate.
-The Calculated Kinetics one doesn't either but I measured 0.0610" on the rear and 0.0615" on the front. (Inconsistent measurements.)
-The DPP Titanium plate is advertised to be 0.0580".

Here it is installed.

Brightness controls are easily reachable with your thumb. (If you're a right handed shooter.)

Grey Font Gadget Electric blue Circle

Here is the dissapointing truth about the Calculated Kinetics adapter plate cowitness. In the product photo on his website, he purposely tilts the gun upwards to give you the illusion that it will in fact cowitness when it doesn't. This renders the iron sights unusable. You will have to rely on point of aim to make emergency shots. (I'm not sure if any adapter plate will allow cowitness, but at least don't make false advertisements!!!)

Camera accessory Composite material Fixture Cleanliness Carbon

Here is a screenshot from the product page where they tilt the pistol upwards to make it appear that it cowitnesses when it doesn't.

Font Screenshot Technology Wrist Cable

Measurement not including the recoil lugs. 0.0615" I later measured the other end of the plate, and it measured 0.0610", indicating inconsistent machining.

Calipers Wood Measuring instrument Camera accessory Gadget

Measurement with recoil lugs included. .0800 even.

Wood Gadget Cameras & optics Thumb Hardwood

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it looks like there are 2 other adapter plates besides the C&H.

There's the most popular DPP (Chinese made) one that everyone seems to like.

And one made by Calculated Kinetics (made in USA).

I might try the Calculated Kinetics one as it's advertised to be directly compatible (no screw trimming required from what I've read) and advertised to be able to co-witness the stock sights with a 507k.

I guess you could dremel off the rear recoil lugs on your slide and shorten the front lugs about %25 but I don't really want to modify the slide. Will update once I have everything installed.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've actually read that post already but it's still mostly speculation or non-firsthand experiences. Guess I'll be the Guinea pig on here and actually post pics and give an honest opinion once everything comes and is installed. The Hellcat has been around for 2 years already and is extremely popular so I'm very surprised there isn't a guide for this topic already that compares all the optic plates and shows which one allows the most iron sight cotwitness for the 507k, etc.

I'm happy as long as I can co witness even a small portion of the iron sights (enough to show the tritium at night). The reason being, on these small micro red dot sized optics, it can be difficult to find the dot when you aim the pistol, but lining up the iron sights first will make it appear and then you can shift your focus onto the optic's dot instead.

My Springfield XD with the new OSP slide combined with the CTS 1550 has the perfect amount of cowitness. Enough to be visible, but not enough to even come close to 1/3 or absolute cowitness and thus be distracting/annoying. I would say it's about lower 1/5th cowitness.

I'm actually thinking about ordering both the DPP and Calculated Kinetics one to test both on the Hellcat.

· Registered
25 Posts
Well as tough as it is to get a decent optic for the Hellcat OSP, it seems the only reliable choices are the 407k/507k or an RMRcc which aren't compatible.

Yes, I know the Shield RMSc is probably the best natively compatible choice but it's just so boring and outdated for the price it costs and no green dot option. All the other sub $200 polymer optics are okay but what about those who want something a bit better and more reliable that actually has audible clicks when you adjust windage/elevation?

I just returned my Crimson Trace CT Rad Micro Pro because the damn thing's auto brightness ramps the brightness down way too dark at night to the point where the green dot wasn't even visible while standing in a dark room. Otherwise it was great optic for the price. Others on the Amazon reviews mentioned this issue as well.

I didn't want to have to use an adapter plate to mount a 507k but it seems like that's the only feasible choice now. I don't want to have to have the slide milled either. Has anyone used this one?

Can you still co-witness your iron sights with it even a little bit if the optic battery dies? Any problems holding zero? Do the included screws work out of the box? No screw trimming required?

If you've put this optic on your Hellcat using that adapter plate, share a pic or 2 please!
I have the HEX Wasp mounted directly on my Hellcat without an adapter plate. I’ve never had any issues. The battery is over 6 months old now. I also installed a set of Night Fision tritium sights for co-witnessing. It’s my EDC and when I say EDC I mean I carry it EVERY day without exception.

· Registered
26 Posts
My Hex Wasp is almost 17 months into its first battery and working fine. No base plate, about half the irons in clear view.
If one of these other sight companies had half a brain they would make a specialized model that mounts directly to the Hellcat.
They would sell quite a few, I imagine.

· Registered
50 Posts
My Hex Wasp is almost 17 months into its first battery and working fine. No base plate, about half the irons in clear view.
If one of these other sight companies had half a brain they would make a specialized model that mounts directly to the Hellcat.
They would sell quite a few, I imagine.
I would second that sentiment,I've no clue where their thought process is or isn't.

· Registered
26 Posts
Red dot companies (or gun makers) should get together on a mounting standard, one for micros, one full size pistols, one for rifles and all of them comply with it. They are missing out on sales with these adapter mounting plates and specialization to certain guns.
Dovetails are all either 3/8" or 1/2", making iron sights easy to switch out. They should do the same with RD mounting holes.

· Registered
50 Posts
Red dot companies (or gun makers) should get together on a mounting standard, one for micros, one full size pistols, one for rifles and all of them comply with it. They are missing out on sales with these adapter mounting plates and specialization to certain guns.
Dovetails are all either 3/8" or 1/2", making iron sights easy to switch out. They should do the same with RD mounting holes.
I think you are correct, many shooters avoid red dots because of what you mention. Mounting hardware ie screws should be standardized either in metric or SAE.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just realized the Hex Wasp was made by Springfield Armory. I'm sure it probably works great for most people. I just didn't want to spend over $150 if I ended up settling on a Polymer red dot only optic. I have a CTS 1550 on my XD that I got from Amazon for $120 and I've shot a friend's Hellcat with a Sig Romeo Zero (He paid $120ish also) and both are pretty good for the price.

I just wanted something with a metal housing and green dot option to use it for EDC purposes.

My 507k just came in today, waiting on the Calculated Kinetics adapter plate and will update once I have all that installed.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another update, a friend of mine installed the same Calculated Kinetics adapter plate on his and had nothing but issues. When he torqued down the screws to 15 in lbs, the front and rear of the plate flexed upwards and made a huge gap.

It appears that these are not consistent. We are planning on returning ours.

· Registered
50 Posts
I put a Crimson Trace CT-RAD Micro Pro Reflex Green Dot Sight on my RDP,direct mount and couldn't be more pleased with the result and performance.

I mounted this past weekend.
Went to the range today to sight it in and my co witness is 75 % with factory sights ,mounting was simple and no plate needed .

I shot it on some IPSC cardboard targets,A zone hits at 7 10 15 20 and 25 yards which improved my times and I'm in Luv with it.

My previous dot was a Shield with a 3 minute dot versus the CT's 5 minute, which I credit for my improved times,Luv it, now I have to purchase another for my milled G 43 X,darn.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put a Crimson Trace CT-RAD Micro Pro Reflex Green Dot Sight on my RDP,direct mount and couldn't be more pleased with the result and performance.

I mounted this past weekend.
Went to the range today to sight it in and my co witness is 75 % with factory sights ,mounting was simple and no plate needed .

I shot it on some IPSC cardboard targets,A zone hits at 7 10 15 20 and 25 yards which improved my times and I'm in Luv with it.

My previous dot was a Shield with a 3 minute dot versus the CT's 5 minute, which I credit for my improved times,Luv it, now I have to purchase another for my milled G 43 X,darn.
How does it work in a completely dark room or pitch black darkness? That's what I had before and loved it until I found out my green dot doesn't appear in darkness so I returned mine. I read a couple reviews on it and others have mentioned the same thing.

· Registered
50 Posts
How does it work in a completely dark room or pitch black darkness? That's what I had before and loved it until I found out my green dot doesn't appear in darkness so I returned mine. I read a couple reviews on it and others have mentioned the same thing.
I'll check it and reply back to you, sure hope it shows up in pitch black dark.

· Registered
50 Posts
It is very dim but can be seen in a pitch dark room, perhaps the manual brightness model would be advantageous.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is very dim but can be seen in a pitch dark room, perhaps the manual brightness model would be advantageous.
Well, they finally emailed me back after a month when I asked them if all CT Rad Micro Pro Green's were affected by this issue or if it was just a bad batch and if I could get a warranty replacement if so.

Here is their response:
Water Font Rectangle Circle Number

Basically them admitting to the issue and not offering any sort of resolution. Someone in their product design department should reprogram the chip on the PCB board to send a higher voltage to the LED emitter under no light situations and offer their customers replacements.

I understand it's a power saving feature but the device has auto off anyways so it's useless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts